• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just in case you don't remember:

BW: 240
    Ht: 5' 10"

Previous Bests

Squat: 345 x 5
    Bench: 245 x 5 (Where I'm at now)
    Deadlift: 425 x 5 (I stopped trying to deadlift and I began alternating Haltings and Rack pulls)
    Press: 195 x 5

Down and dirty:
    I reset my squat due to knee pain about 2-3 weeks ago. I reset because when I finished squatting my right knee would feel slightly swollen after lifting. The pain wouldn't come unless I was on my feet for a long period of time, which I have to be when I work at the hospital. It got so bad I had trouble working for more than an hour or two. I took a week off from lifting. When I came back, I started using my weightlifting shoes (I squatted barefoot prior to the reset) and I tried to adjust my form for minimal knee pain. After reviewing today's video though, I think I fucked it up. It appears to me that the knee angle is much too small. For comparison I also filmed my 2nd set in which I show you my form previous to me changing it.

I apologize in advance for the dark settings. We manage to adjust it after the videos had been taken.

Squat 1 (This is the form I changed over to)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_jEakMXfU

Squat 2 (This is my form before I tried to change it) - It starts on the third rep because our camera has been acting up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96zkdmJjTQM

Press 1 (This is my press form since your last evaluation)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1brFtlnEVI0

I honestly don't know what the pain comes from. It started around 325 squat. Feels like it's located right on the patella. Pain lasts for hours at a time unless I sit down. Bending over seems to aggravate it. Popping it seems to relieve the pain. Haven't tried to treat it with anything besides ice.

2 Things that may be relevant:

1) Prior to having knee pain I had pain in my right gluteal area. I still have it from time to time. It felt like a sharp pain when I stood up. When the hip pain faded, the knee pain came.

2) I have one hip located slightly higher than the other (Left one is higher). It's something I saw a PT and a chiropractor for in high school. PT realigned it and told me to do some abdominal exercises to make sure it stays in place, which I did (I couldn't for the life of me tell you those exercises were now). And, the chiropractor suggested I wear a .25 inch insole for my right foot, which I politely declined to do. This was 6-7 years ago.

So, my questions for you

1) How does the squat form look in the 1st and 2nd videos?
    2) How does the press form look?
    3) Do you see anything in the 2nd video that could've contributed to my knee pain?

1. Both look pretty good, but the video is so shitty I can't see that much.
    2. Press looks like you could stand to shove your hips forward more before you drive up, but the video is so shitty I can't see that much.
    3. No, but the video is so shitty I can't see that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. Both look pretty good, but the video is so shitty I can't see that much.
    2. Press looks like you could stand to shove your hips forward more before you drive up, but the video is so shitty I can't see that much.
    3. No, but the video is so shitty I can't see that much.
    You know, I get the feeling that you think the video is so shitty that you can't see that much. =P

I'll post up a better video by Monday. Thanks for looking them over. Because the first form causes me less knee pain, I'm going to switch over to it until something dictates that I change it. Thanks, Rip.

That sounds like a reasonable approach.

Aren't the knees sliding way forward throughout the descent on both vids?

starting strength coach development program
    I can't tell, because the video is so shitty I can't see that much.