starting strength gym

Thread: Defying Gravity

Default Defying Gravity

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

Just finished Defying Gravity. As a side note it's a very entertaining read, lots of great stories so I highly recommend it to everyone on this board.

Now to my questions. I'm wondering if you' had any personal experience with biorhythms or relaxation/visualization. Thanks.

As I've said before, Bill and I don't agree on everything.

Sorry, wasn't trying to start a debate just curious about your experience with it.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm starting the Texas Method so I wanted to find out the history of the thing. According to my online search it seems to have evolved out of the training you and Glenn Pendlay did when you worked together. If that's true and the TM is also the routine you most recommend to intermediates these days, what was the program you usually prescribed before the TM was around?

The program grew out of my interpretation of Doug Hepburn's program for the bench press, as related to me by Starr many years ago. Hepburn used 5 singles followed by 5 x 5 1x/week going up 5 pounds/week on the bench press to get his 500. I found that the singles did not leave enough in reserve for the 5 x 5, so I broke them up into 2 workouts with a light day in between. Glenn's modification was the 5RM on Friday instead of the singles. I don't remember what I prescribed before this.