starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming DL 2x week

Default Programming DL 2x week

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip-

I have an injury which is aggravated by the jump in the power clean. Deadlifts are no problem. I'm wondering if you believe I would be overtraining if I substituted an extra dead lift session in lieu of power cleans for however long the injury takes to heal.

I'm 37, 205, and at week 4 of SS program v2 for me after long hiatus. Currently work setting on deads with 225 and making 10 lb jumps a session smoothly and easily (attesting to the "stickiness" of SS program effect as I was off for over a year with way too much business travel).

I would imagine if this is even a good idea that back off set type weight would be used for the extra session and great emphasis placed on working on form and/or dynamic effort?
    Sincere thanks for the program, a "real" 2nd edition and your considering my question.

What is the injury?

Fractured toe.

That will take about 10 days. And at 225 x 5 you can stand to deadlift without the cleans for a while anyway. Get them up to 300 x 5 and then go back to cleans.

Thank you.

Rip, I have a similar question. I'm still not able to squat proper weights without left hip pain, so in lieu of squatting have been trying to deadlift twice a week. Generally it's gone ok, but I'm starting to worry about it being too much.

I'm 6'2" at about 205-210 with a 5RM of 375. On a monday I do 2 sets of 3 (my gym only has flat sided plates that make pulling from the floor a pain in the backside and I find this better doing a single set of 5) and then on friday, after doing cleans, do a single set of 3 slightly heavier than on monday. I also do some lightish SLDLs on wednesday for 3 sets of 8 or 10. Ive been recovering ok, and slowly increasing the numbers on the deadlift, but sometimes feel my OHP 5X5 suffers on the following monday from some residual lower back fatigue. I figure that will only get worse as my deadlift gets heavier, so wondered wondered if you had a better approach to increasing the deadlift without squatting.

a better solution than , I do sets of 3, and so I do 2 sets of 3 with my 5RM on a monday and a single set of 3 on friday with a slightly heavier weight.

Are you telling me that you're deadlifting in some form 3x/week?

Sometimes, but when I do the straight legs on wednesday it's relatively easy.

What's wrong with your hip?

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t really know. I’ve had it on and off since June or July. It's a sharp burning sensation in the superior lateral quad when the femur is in the combination of flexion and abduction (or maybe rotation) - essentially the motion required to get out of the driver's side of a(n American) car. It feels like tendinitis, but given it’s an atypical presentation, and neither I nor anyone at the seminar saw anything in my technique to suggest this sort of issue, I don’t think the typical knees shooting forward hip flexor issue. Regardless, it’s only squats that cause it, so when it comes back, which it has now three or four times, I just deal with it with therapeutic dosing of ibuprofen for the first week and staying away from the movements that cause the pain (squat). The first time it happened it took a good 3 months to get back to squatting without pain. This time it’s been about 6 weeks.

Deadlifts don’t bother it in the slightest so in the meantime I’ve kept doing them. What I have found was that only once per week in the absence of squats didn’t seem enough as even though I was making slow progress, I was failing at a new weight as often as I was succeeding with it, hence the increased frequency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast