starting strength gym

Thread: training for ameteur boxers ages 14- 18

Default training for ameteur boxers ages 14- 18

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey coach,

I would really appreciate your feedback on this one, I have prospective 10 week summer training camp with amateur boxers, as you probably already know, boxers do little more then run for their conditioning and for the most part strength training is not even in the scene. Here are the options, I have a chance to get a group (6-7) of kids for 10 weeks, there boxing coach has giving me the following options with them:

this would give them 10 weeks with you.

Option 1: meet 2x per week (20 total sessions)

Option 2: meet 3x per week (30 total sessions)

Option 3: meet 2x per week for the first 6 weeks (24 total sessions) meet 3x per week for the last 4 weeks

Your pupils will be licensed amateur boxers ages 14 to 18.

I was planning on teaching them the Power Clean (snatch??), Squat, Deadlift and press. Not sure about the Jerk,( could be useful do to the explosive natire of the movement).......Using these movements in a SS model...given the time I have with them and the fact that none have ever touched a barbell i was hoping you could give some feedback on what would be your approach. I really want to make the most of their time and show the fact that strength training will put them up a level compared to most boxers who only focus on (LSD) cardio.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Since they are novices, use the option that allows you to stay closest to the standard novice program. It will not interfere with their boxing UNLESS the little bastards won't eat enough. Just use the standard program. And what in the HELL is a licensed amateur boxer??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And what in the HELL is a licensed amateur boxer??
    well if you want to be ranked and to be able to enter tournaments you need to have a license as an amateur boxer. I don't know how it works in the states but when I was getting mine, I had to have a physical and since my boxing club was part of the Croatian boxing federation they already had the forms and all I had to do was pay the application fee(which they paid).

Have you been to a seminar?

That would probably help you alot, if you want to be the best teacher you can be.

A licensed amateur boxer is one who has been granted permission to box by the national governing body (Amateur Boxing Association of England / ABAE over here), which is subject to the international governing body AIBA.
    Not any big deal to get that-
    Basically they just make sure, by way of examination by a doctor, that you have no medical/physiological problems that could make boxing dangerous for yourself or others. They actually check you have two testes- suppose they wanna make sure you've got a set before stepping in the ring!!!

Does depend on the overall goals of the training camp but it’s probably safe to assume that strength is not the only objective & so normally it should not be given consideration over & above the boxing training itself. A big issue also is that making the kids big & strong puts them into higher weight divisions & so careful consideration has to be given to this. If what the kids are lacking is strength then that could be where the focus needs to be. If they’re skinny & weak get them on the straight Starting Strength two days a week so as to build a foundation of strength without interfering too much with their sport of choice. Depends on the style of boxing taught as well (ideally this will be tailored to the individual but rarely is)- rangy counterpunchers won’t fair well being pushed up the weight divisions as they come across taller opponents. Other strength work can be done in that case, working on circuits, which should include squats & presses etc (& definitely teach the technique according to Starting Strength). I can provide more info if you want.

Because you’re working with a small group you may be able to give different work to different kids; that would be ideal but maybe impractical.

How often are they going to be boxing per week, and if you know- on what days of the week?
    On a Monday to Friday, or Saturday schedule, if that’s what you have, then strength/power training should fall on a Tuesday and Thursday and come imediately AFTER the boxing training unless you are having a morning AND afternoon prgramme in which case strength in the morning & boxing in the afternoon, separated by 4 hours at least.

You’re right about LSD cardio, waste of time. Fartlek is useful for boxers. Jogging should be done on the basis of starting of steady & fairly short early in the camp, gradually increasing the length of time, though not the speed, until mid-way through the camp when you begin working back down to the original length of time but now trying to cover the same distance (ie. upping the speed). Get them on a track so you can keep tabs on them. Again, twice a week, better once +a fartlek session. ALSO a lot of the legwork can be done focussing on footwork- literally by moving around the ring, or any open space, & also as part of the warmup- have them running forwards, backwards, sidestepping etc for up to 15 minutes & that is a short jog in itself only much more productive. Especially so as most kids need to tighten up their movement around the ring & not their ability to bore themselves jogging 10 miles…

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And what in the HELL is a licensed amateur boxer??
    Licensed to kill... that is, assuming they are the only amateur boxers training with the SS program.

you know what??I dont know what that means, I assume it means they are licensed to Box in the ametuer level???

starting strength coach development program
    Amateur boxers need to register with USAB in order to participate in some events, i.e. sanctioned amateur bouts. It's for liability purposes among other things.