starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Video: The Leg Press and its proper use in a gym.

Default New Video: The Leg Press and its proper use in a gym.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Sometimes, we use a leg press. Heresy??? I think not.

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph..._the_leg_press
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 05-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered what the role of the leg press in our gym was, whether it was just an accessory exercise for the squat or, as you explained, is merely a tool to get people strong enough to do squats.

Rip,

Another good one. The fact that you can do these 10+ minute videos in one long take impresses the hell out of me.

And thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and acquired training wisdom.

Matt

Rip,

Do you have any plans of compiling all these videos into a collection and releasing them in a DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
    The fact that you can do these 10+ minute videos in one long take impresses the hell out of me.
    I never thought about that, but that really IS impressive. Being able to talk and convince people of the right way to train (without your ego getting in the way) is probably most important.

This is Shelly from the DVD right? Are there more of the people still training at WFAC? How did they progress, especially the elderly (I remember one that was very unflexible I think Bernard was his name)? I'm just generally interested how Squats work for older people at the age of 50+. Did his flexibility problems get resolved? With or without additional stretching?

Rip

The presentation in your vids are getting better and better. Thank you for your time, effort and wisdom.

So I see that damn orangutan is making more cameo appearances!!

Omni.

In rehab for those who are severely deconditioned, like those who simply getting out of a chair is a challenge, I have found progressively lowering box squat very helpful and you can't get much more functional that standing up from sitting down.

For trainers out there working with folks who might have had a hip replacement. Be careful when loading greater than 90 deg. of hip flexion, especialy if there is a history of dislocation. I've seen a hip pop out (person was 2 years post op)when a client in an attempt to "get a better work" out moved the seat up on leg presses. Most do fine especially with knees out, just a heads up for liability.

What really stuck out to me is when you mentioned something along the lines of 'you can only train athletes, and thats fine...or you can equip your gym to suit everybody and spread the word of how to get strong.'

I think that shows your passion of the barbell game.

Would you program back extension as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
    Rip,
    Another good one. The fact that you can do these 10+ minute videos in one long take impresses the hell out of me.
    When info just comes in a steady, logical stream like that, you know whoever is talking knows his/her shit.

starting strength coach development program
    Am I in the right place? haha informative as always.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast