starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow pain

Default Elbow pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I fucked up my right elbow doing powercleans with shitty form about 3 months ago. Instead of slowly getting better I think it's getting worse. I've done a one week run of motrin, at about 2400mg a day, twice now. It doesn't hurt at all when doing bench or press, rows have a tendency to hurt however. But at work it can be extremely painful on occasion just picking up a stapler. If I do barbell curls it does not hurt, however if I turn my hands over so that my palms face the floor and try to do curls that way I can't even lift the barbell. In fact with my right hand I can't even curl an empty 10lb olympic dumbell handle. If anyone has a suggestion on possible ways to rehab it, I would be very appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamon View Post
    I fucked up my right elbow doing powercleans with shitty form about 3 months ago. Instead of slowly getting better I think it's getting worse. I've done a one week run of motrin, at about 2400mg a day, twice now. It doesn't hurt at all when doing bench or press, rows have a tendency to hurt however. But at work it can be extremely painful on occasion just picking up a stapler. If I do barbell curls it does not hurt, however if I turn my hands over so that my palms face the floor and try to do curls that way I can't even lift the barbell. In fact with my right hand I can't even curl an empty 10lb olympic dumbell handle. If anyone has a suggestion on possible ways to rehab it, I would be very appreciative.
    I believe I'm going through the exact same problem. About 3-4 weeks ago, I felt "pain/stress" while doing power cleans. I believe it made a potential pre-existing yet dormant tendonitis situation acute -- as in active. I'm 38, so it's very possible I had tendonitis or something going on anyway.

This is what I've been doing for the past two weeks. I feel like it's starting to get a little better, but I feel like it may be several weeks before the symptoms of the tendinitis are less noticeable and irritating.. Keep in mind this is just what seems to be working for me.. Don't know if it will work for you.

1) The area of pain in my case is on the outside of my left elbow, as the fore-arm approaches the elbow joint

2) Like yourself, I found it painful to hold a moderate weight dumbbell with the arm extended, palm facing down. I also found it awkward/painful to try barbell curls, particularly at the top of the movement where the hands are closest to the shoulders. In the first couple of weeks, I found it painful when I took a pair of socks and rolled them into a ball, and then squeezed the sock ball. I haven't even tried a reverse-grip curl.

3) I subbed out barbell rows with power cleans as a result. They're doable, it aggravates that area less, but it's still there.

4) As a result, I've been doing daily wrist/forearm stretches for several minutes, following by icing the area, then letting it warm up naturally, and doing stretches again, followed by wrist/reverse wrist curls (not bicep curls) with a light weight for 15+ reps. I've incorporate the wrist/forearm stretches + curls into my SS routine as well. A typical day looks like this

- 5 minutes warm up walk on treadmill, do wrist stretches while warming up (note I don't ice during workout.. just after and on off days)
    - 3 minutes warm up on rowing machine
    - dynamic stretches for squats
    - between sets of squats, which is like 4 minutes or so of rest, do a set of light wrist work with a dumbbells.
    - stretch between bench and deadlift
    - ice after workout, let it warm up naturally or during shower then stretches

Day 2 - same, where I am doing light wrist stuff between sets of squats and stretching between press.. I also do a couple of sets of seated shoulder-with pull downs (seated chins) for 10 or so reps. Go home, ice, and stretch again.

In addition to the above, I have one of those stress balls I work with here and there during the day @ my desk. Another thing I do here and there is a make a fist with the hand with the bad elbow, and I wrap the good hand around the fist, and I force the good hand open by opening my fingers of the bad hand. I believe this is like working the other side of grip. Gripping is holding something tight but the opposite can be seen as forcing something open.

Finally, I got one of those elbow braces. I really hate that I had to buy "the strap", but for now I wear it on for bench, shoulder press and rows. I see no reason to wear it for squats and deads.

I'm not sure but I feel like this approach may be helping it improve, I'm still going up on my lifts and such, and overall the pain seems to be decreasing, and it's not interfering with my workouts too much.

I even returned to power cleans on Friday after coaching and had a good relatively pain free session @ 95 lbs, where I was doing 115 lbs before the injury. Coach had some suggestions for power cleans to minimize issues with elbow pain:

- use the hook grip because it sets things up nice for less fingers on the rack later
    - a slightly wider hand width so that the rack isn't so painful (elbows will be a little further apart)
    - make sure you are not just reverse curling the weight up when jump/rack
    - the jump/rack sequence has to be a quick movement - the jump has to have height and power
    - DROP the weight after racking (assuming you have bumper plates), in order to minimize the effort on the last part of putting the weight down.
    - on the rack, do not be holding onto the bar with all the fingers.. you don't need all the fingers, and less fingers is less strain in that area according to the coach..

Also -- make sure your bar grips, stances, etc are VERY VERY GOOD. Bad elbow positioning on squats, bench, press can screw things up, etc.

I still have pressure/pain in the area at times... One thing that sucks is that if I bump into a doorway or something, it's like OUCH so this is not going away in the next week or two but it feels like I am working throughout and still making progress.

On rest days I just stretch the wrists a lot.. and of course ice..
    Last edited by vikvik20; 05-30-2011 at 08:01 PM.

You know sadly I hadn't even tried stretching.

Today at work I would hold my arm straight out with my palm facing down, then use my other hand to bend my hand downwards until it was painful. I did that probably 7 or 8 times throughout the day. This evening during my workout I was able to get through with dramatically less pain than normal. I'll probably have to stretch it daily for the next several months, but that was the best workout I've had in weeks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamon View Post
    You know sadly I hadn't even tried stretching.

Today at work I would hold my arm straight out with my palm facing down, then use my other hand to bend my hand downwards until it was painful. I did that probably 7 or 8 times throughout the day. This evening during my workout I was able to get through with dramatically less pain than normal. I'll probably have to stretch it daily for the next several months, but that was the best workout I've had in weeks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    That's the stretch I do, hold it for like 10 seconds... i also do the following for a total of 4 distinct stretches

palm facing down, stretch the hand down
    palm facing up, stretch the hand down
    palm facing down, stretch the hand up
    palm facing up, stretch the hand up

I feel like each one hits it a little differently and i have different relief areas..

ice when you get home for like 10-15 minutes..... glad to hear it helped.. stretch daily, forearm work with your workouts, and maybe like me you'll at least be able to continue and make progress and feel some relief/improvement in a week or two

one more thing -- when you sleep, make sure you sleep with your bad arm straight........ if you are in a bad bent position for 8 hours, its not good!
    Last edited by vikvik20; 06-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks for the tip about the golf balls.

One more thing, when stretching the wrist/forearm -- also try it with your fingers spaced wide apart as far as possible.. you'll feel a little extra something

It's early days in SS novice, but already I've noticed that if I let my arms get at all involved in lifting the bar during power cleans I can count on elbow pain after the workout. If I'm paying attention and just let the elbows and hands rotate around the bar after the jump and shrug, everything is fine. If not, my elbow will tell me that my technique was lacking.

This is my main chronic injury. I hate it. I get it from squats but when I did power cleans I got it too, specially when lowering the bar. It's one of the reasons I stopped doing them.

I did it again to my elbow yesterday. Finished squatting in the power rack, was unloading the bar and putting the plates away. All of a sudden, the bar starts sliding off away from the side I'm unloading. Like an idiot I grabbed the bar with my left (bad side) hand to pull the bar back into place. Torqued the elbow something fierce. Screwed up my bench press.

This elbow has been an on again-off again problem. Ice and anti-inflammatories don't do much. When it gets really bad and a week of rest shows no improvement, the doc will hit it with a cortisone shot. Not something you want to be doing all the time, but it works.

In the meantime, I might try the golf ball trick.
    --
    Mark

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mthayer View Post
    I did it again to my elbow yesterday. Finished squatting in the power rack, was unloading the bar and putting the plates away. All of a sudden, the bar starts sliding off away from the side I'm unloading. Like an idiot I grabbed the bar with my left (bad side) hand to pull the bar back into place. Torqued the elbow something fierce. Screwed up my bench press.

This elbow has been an on again-off again problem. Ice and anti-inflammatories don't do much. When it gets really bad and a week of rest shows no improvement, the doc will hit it with a cortisone shot. Not something you want to be doing all the time, but it works.

In the meantime, I might try the golf ball trick.
    --
    Mark
    That sucks man. Give it a lot of extra stretch and warmup. I warm it up by extending The bad arm palm up directly in front of me then place the good hand underneath the tricep close to the elbow joint for support.

Then bend the bad arm slowly towards your shoulder as far As you can go. Feel for the pain spot and hold a sec and extend to stArt position. repeat like 15 times. Consider a strAp next workout.