starting strength gym

Thread: Struggling with a lower weight bench press (225 pounds)

Default Struggling with a lower weight bench press (225 pounds)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My question is that I seem to be stuck on a plateau and that i think my strength is disproportional but I'll ask to just double check. As of recently i've been able to standing shoulder press 135 for a set of 3, close grip 175 for a set of 6, and weighted dip with 45 pounds for sets of 5. I weigh 193 and can only bench 205 for a set of 3. Previously I weighed 200 and could bench press 225 for a set of 3 (so I know its possible for me to do more weight). I know bench press is proportional to weight but i'd still like to increase my strength.

My training day for Chest is usually, 4-5 sets of bench, 3-4 sets of incline dumbells, 3 sets with a press machine, 3 sets of chest flys, 3 sets of close grip, 3 sets of weighted dips, and then either 2 lightweight tricep or shoulder isolation exercises. I move these exercises around a lot but always start with benching

Any suggestions to help increase my bench or tips to programing would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by proselotis View Post
    My question is that I seem to be stuck on a plateau and that i think my strength is disproportional but I'll ask to just double check. As of recently i've been able to standing shoulder press 135 for a set of 3, close grip 175 for a set of 6, and weighted dip with 45 pounds for sets of 5. I weigh 193 and can only bench 205 for a set of 3. Previously I weighed 200 and could bench press 225 for a set of 3 (so I know its possible for me to do more weight). I know bench press is proportional to weight but i'd still like to increase my strength.

My training day for Chest is usually, 4-5 sets of bench, 3-4 sets of incline dumbells, 3 sets with a press machine, 3 sets of chest flys, 3 sets of close grip, 3 sets of weighted dips, and then either 2 lightweight tricep or shoulder isolation exercises. I move these exercises around a lot but always start with benching

Any suggestions to help increase my bench or tips to programing would be much appreciated, Thanks!

It seems you're not responding to the 'bench plus a whole lotta other stuff' routine. So, make about 80% of the other stuff bench press. Spread the volume out over the course of the week.

Default Response to Hanley and allent

What do you mean by saying "make about 80% of the other stuff bench press"? Like make 80% of chest day bench related stuff? And generally cut down on the amount of volume I do?
    Thanks Hanley

As for my back day I begin with dead lifting for about 5 sets, then 3 sets of rows, 3 sets of a type of lat pulldowns, 3 sets of pull ups and some lightweight exercises to exhaust my lats. And your saying that if you do more than 50 total reps your body just stops gaining strength?
    Thanks allent

On your current program, how many times a month do you bench press?