starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just looking for some feed back before moving on. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/133764229

Pretty good squats. You may be sitting back a bit too much resulting in a slightly more horizontal torso than necessary. I'm not 100% sure from this video, but that's something I'd look at - a bit more forward knee travel. Also, get your hands around the bar. Just because thumb is over the bar doesn't mean the thing sits at the base of your palm with no finger involvement.

Thanks Wolf. Implemented your advice-more knees. Used master cue. Feel more quads. Hip drive still look ok? Will work on hands..bad habit. I'm in NYC - any up coming training camps? Thanks again for all you guys do.
    https://vimeo.com/133997243

That looks better to me. It'll take some adjusting to correctly break at the hips and knees together (it looks like you're thinking "knees first" right now - which very well may be useful to help with this issue, as long as you know that what you're really ultimately aiming for is hips and knees together). As well as keep your knees stable/not sliding at the bottom.

As far as local camps: John and Nick are doing a pulling camp out on Long Island this coming Sunday. In NYC proper, we will probably do 1-2 more camps this year, but no dates have been set yet.

Coach Wolf,
    I was interested in your comments regarding grip. I have a similar grip. As I have moved my hands in to keep my back tight, the grip has moved "up."
    What would be the guidance for correcting this? Move the hands out or focus on pulling elbows down to maintain more of a grip?
    Thanks for everything, especially the excellent coaching.
    Mike

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    Coach Wolf,
    I was interested in your comments regarding grip. I have a similar grip. As I have moved my hands in to keep my back tight, the grip has moved "up."
    What would be the guidance for correcting this? Move the hands out or focus on pulling elbows down to maintain more of a grip?
    Thanks for everything, especially the excellent coaching.
    Mike
    It'll depend how tight your shoulders are, but you should try and see if you can get your hands lower on the bar with the narrower grip. If you can't, you'll need to widen out a bit. Sometimes you can work your grip in very slowly, half a finger width per workout or per week or something like that. Like linear progression, this won't go on forever but sometimes you can get it a bit narrower and tighter this way.