starting strength gym

Thread: Rounded my back and now have weird cramping feeling

Default Rounded my back and now have weird cramping feeling

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This is my first experience with a back "injury". I went to the gym last week and re-started SS after a gap of 2 months during which I fell ill and got lazy and lost 10 lbs. My last deadlift two months ago had been 315X5 so I decided to restart with 250 lbs. The weight didn't feel too heavy but I messed up my form pretty badly and rounded my back.

I didn't experience any pain but I did have a feeling of cramping or stiffening up or something getting pulled in my back. I think its around T11-T12 but just to be sure I've attached a picture of my back with the exact region of stiffening up marked in blue. The cramping/pulled feeling is around the marks and slightly below the lower mark as well.

The marked part of the back kept randomly stiffening up the next day but it went away by the end of the day. The next session I had power cleans which again caused the stiffening. So I decided to reduce the deadlift weight for my most recent session which was today to 220lbs. I believe I did it with pretty good form this time but the back did stiffen up in the same region immediately after the deadlift.

I have no pain apart from this feeling of discomfort of something getting pulled in my back. However this cramping feeling occurs randomly and frequently whether I'm sitting or standing or strolling around, especially if my posture gets bad with me slumping in a chair and I feel stuff clicking in my back as soon as I straighten it.

I have no idea what this could be. I tried the search function but almost all posts were related to lower back pain, and I'm not sure if my region of discomfort is the lower back or mid-back.

If anyone wants to see the set where I rounded my back it's here at :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ypwgIvyog

and my latest deadlift with better form's at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlPMSU0Smyg

Ignore the music played in my gym. Also I'm deadlifting barefoot because my lifting shoes got stolen last week. Waiting for the new ones to arrive.

Other Information:
    I'm 25 y/o male
    Height - 6'0
    Weight - 188lbs

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Crowvahkin; 05-12-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Your back is slightly rounded, but not scary rounded. It would surprise me if it caused you serious injury. Have you tried heating pads?

From my experience back pain like this is usually fixes itself, I would keep deadlifting and powercleaning. Let me ask you something does it hurt while performing the lift or is it only immediately after the lift, when standing up and straightening everything out and/or randomly during the day? Because if its the latter, I cant tell you the exact cause but for me its always sorted itself out by continuing to lift.

The pain isn't completely debilitating which is a good thing, and means its not so serious, it could be a strain from losing weight, and having 2 months off then jumping back into too fast, you may have been conservative with the weights but perhaps not enough.

Its funny though because I almost always get pains like while I am on a lifting hiatus and find myself sitting/laying around me, IE not moving enough.

and I 2nd that your back rounding isn't severe at all

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Your back is slightly rounded, but not scary rounded. It would surprise me if it caused you serious injury. Have you tried heating pads?
    Glad to hear my back rounding is not severe. Never had my back rounded to this extent before. I will try heating pads tonight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    From my experience back pain like this is usually fixes itself, I would keep deadlifting and powercleaning. Let me ask you something does it hurt while performing the lift or is it only immediately after the lift, when standing up and straightening everything out and/or randomly during the day? Because if its the latter, I cant tell you the exact cause but for me its always sorted itself out by continuing to lift.

The pain isn't completely debilitating which is a good thing, and means its not so serious, it could be a strain from losing weight, and having 2 months off then jumping back into too fast, you may have been conservative with the weights but perhaps not enough.

Its funny though because I almost always get pains like while I am on a lifting hiatus and find myself sitting/laying around me, IE not moving enough.

and I 2nd that your back rounding isn't severe at all
    My back felt completely fine while lifting. Actually it didn't hurt after either. But my back cramped up immediately after deadlifting. On googling I've found out that this indicates that the muscles are trying contract and protect the injured part of the spine. The frequency of cramping was noticeably lesser today than yesterday so I'm taking that as a good sign. There's hardly any pain to be honest, but I do feel stuff clicking in my back if I wiggle it around which scares me. Also I agree with you that the cramping occurs when I'm sitting or lying on the bed. When I'm walking around it does seem a lot less and almost unnoticeable.

I suppose it'll heal with ibuprofen and time. The problem is I'm an amateur club cricketer and a fast bowler at that, which for people who don't know, is similar to sprinting in and hurling a javelin except incase of a javelin its a 5.5oz ball. This has my back get into contorted positions and that does cause me some pain. The pain level would be 2-3 on a scale of 10. So it's not much but I wouldn't want to aggravate it. I suppose I should take a break from cricket and keep lifting?

Thanks for your time!

starting strength coach development program
    I went to the gym yesterday and tried squatting but my mid-back started cramping a lot during the warmup sets itself so I didn't do any of the worksets. Today the pain has increased and has also arisen to the left of the original pain region. Even the slightest rotation of my hips with respect to my shoulders results in joints clicking which never used to happen before. Searching on the board has led me to believe this could be either facet joint injury or a muscle tear, both of them result in back spasms. However there's no bruise on my back so I'm leaning towards facet joint. But Rip has also said that its not typical of flexion to case facet joint injuries, it's usually overextension. Since my injury has occurred due to back rounding I'm not entirely sure if it is facet joint. Could anyone help me? I'm just worried that if its a muscle tear, I should be doing Starr Rehab protocol but how do I diagnose the injury?