starting strength gym

Thread: Question on Progress

Default Question on Progress

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Coach Rip,

I just finished my 9th week on the beginner SS program. The current numbers for lifts are as follows:

Squat 250lbs
    Deadlift 265lbs
    Bench Press 157.5lbs
    Overhead Press 100lbs
    Powerclean 95lbs

I'm 6'1, my starting weight was about 175lbs, currently I'm 195lbs. My question Coach is I'm thinking im stalling way to early on the beginner program. The only inkling I thought of that is stopping the linear progess of my lifts is my calorie intake must not be sufficient, is it normal to see stalling this early and if no what do you suggest?

Thanks again Coach,
    Dave

Stalling early results from

1. Increases between workouts that are inappropriately large
    2. Insufficient rest between sets
    3. Inadequate recovery, meaning rest or food or both

I've got incredible balls to be adding to what Rip has said, but I think form issues can cause apparent stalling. Your numbers seem kind of weird - notably the deadlift that's only 15 lbs over your squat and the 95 lb power clean. It would seem that either your form is off on the pulls or else you're squatting above parallel (250 seems pretty big compared to everything else, IMO). You gained 20lbs in 9 weeks, so it sounds like eating is straight.

Or maybe I'm just dead wrong, as I'm prone to be. But again, those DL numbers...

GesD,

Having been in a similar boat height/weight wise as you, I can attest that all three things that Rip mentioned hindered my gains. I'd also include inconsistencies in form to the list, since without a coach one constantly experiments with form in the first few months.

Microplates definitely helped with smaller jumps, and focusing more on getting sleep and resting more between sets helped as well. But one of the biggest changes that worked for me was using a belt, and eating enough food before the workout (within 90 minutes). Perhaps you can give those two, especially the belt, a try.

Thanks for the tip Coach. One other question. Do you think that I should lower the weight on all the lifts or would that just be silly. I have fractional plates, do you think it I should start using those so I can keep the linear progress?

Thanks again Coach,
    Dave

Draco is right on the money. Check your form.

I am afraid I have the same question; I am in week 8 of the novice SS program, and my work set numbers are;

Squat - 300
    DL - 305
    Press-155
    Bench Press - 190
    Pwr Clean - 175
    33, 5'9" - Starting weight - 181(19%BF), current weight 194. Drinking milk and eating big macs, life is good.

The question I have is with the deadlift, I stalled twice and was making 10lb jumps. I moved back down to 5lb jumps on the DL. I have only done 5lb jumps with the squat, and have not stalled once. So my Squat has caught my Deadlift. Should I even worry that my deadlift is slightly higher than the squat while I am still in the Novice phase?

The Novice program has been fantastic, and I am planning to keep going with it until it all comes to a stop. The next 8 weeks will take me to brand new territory and a 400lb squat, I just need to keep making those 5lb jumps every workout. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Let's make a general observation: If you have been on the program less than 4 months and your squat is very close to your deadlift, you are probably squatting high.