starting strength gym

Thread: squats still bad

Default squats still bad

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My last thread was closed, all my info is in here:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=44139

Since that thread I went to CFSBK and worked with David for a couple hours. (couldn't have been a nicer guy, and had another coach talk to me about my press programing when we were done.) My form improved but I wasn't able to completely iron out the problems with my squat. After plenty of times through the book, DVD, and two trips from CT to NY I just feel like I am wasting time turning this 6 month program into 2 years.

Here's some videos from the past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7Vx0c2vh8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Kj2k9Wt5k

The weight isn't/hasn't been heavy but more only makes my form worse. I'm sort of lost as to what to do next. Stretching only helps so much, and the only time I did 295x5x3 the flexion in my lower back had it pretty immobile for about a week. I'd like to avoid being 40 with bad hips/back, but at the same time not get to 25 and still bench double my squat.

I can sense your frustration, my man. We are going to work through this.

First, I doubt it was flexion that caused your injury. Looks to me like you have a tendency to over-extend. That can lead to a lot of back problems. We've been dealing with over-extenders quite a bit lately. I know you've heard this before but you have squeeze the hell out of your abs. More on that in a minute.

You're squats are way to high in the first video, so we're just going to pretend that one doesn't exist. The second video is better, but you need to get lower. My guess is that you cut your depth off because you feel your low back unlocking, right? Here's the reality: what you think is proper lumbar extension is actually overextension. So, when you start to feel your lumbar "rounding" at the bottom, it's actually just moving from an over-extended position to the neutral position we want. In other words, don't worry about it and don't let that be the reason you cut your squats off 3" high. Your problem is over-extending on the way back up, and you fix that by squeezing your abs really really tight, not just on the way down, but on the way up. Next session, I want you to focus on driving your shoulder and hips up at the same time. Don't worry about exaggerating the hip drive; just aim for a constant back angle. Keep your focus on holding a huge breath and squeezing the abs. hard against your belt. Insist on shoving your knees out and getting a little lower than you think you should. Also, keep your head down.

Start there and repost, but don't show me any high reps. You squat to proper depth from now on.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

OP--

A belt will be your best friend to combat overextension. Just a tip from someone with the same issue. Don't just use it for the worksets, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    I can sense your frustration, my man. We are going to work through this.

First, I doubt it was flexion that caused your injury. Looks to me like you have a tendency to over-extend. That can lead to a lot of back problems. We've been dealing with over-extenders quite a bit lately. I know you've heard this before but you have squeeze the hell out of your abs. More on that in a minute.

You're squats are way to high in the first video, so we're just going to pretend that one doesn't exist. The second video is better, but you need to get lower. My guess is that you cut your depth off because you feel your low back unlocking, right? Here's the reality: what you think is proper lumbar extension is actually overextension. So, when you start to feel your lumbar "rounding" at the bottom, it's actually just moving from an over-extended position to the neutral position we want. In other words, don't worry about it and don't let that be the reason you cut your squats off 3" high. Your problem is over-extending on the way back up, and you fix that by squeezing your abs really really tight, not just on the way down, but on the way up. Next session, I want you to focus on driving your shoulder and hips up at the same time. Don't worry about exaggerating the hip drive; just aim for a constant back angle. Keep your focus on holding a huge breath and squeezing the abs. hard against your belt. Insist on shoving your knees out and getting a little lower than you think you should. Also, keep your head down.

Start there and repost, but don't show me any high reps. You squat to proper depth from now on.
    Thanks, I'll try all that tomorrow and post the work sets.

I have attempted to do what you have suggested before, here's some videos from about a week ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJYd012fkm0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FiJLyQhGGU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLqTsdKgaGE

I feel like I'm squeezing down on my abs and I don't see myself getting near the bottom with even a remotely neutral or extended spine.

Also if that was 300+ and I get to the bottom in flexion or some rounding, can you come back up correctly? Wouldn't a wrong position on the way down dictate a wrong one on the way up?

Get me a video from the profile and from the rear at a substantial weight. And for the love of god, get below parallel.