starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook Grip Deadlift

Default Hook Grip Deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm planning to compete in Powerlifting and I'm also planning on using Hook Grip over the Mixed grip for the Deadlift. I'm currently at a weight I can no longer DOH for all 5 reps (315 lbs). Now, all the pro's who use the hook grip have all said don't use the Hook Grip for reps only for one or maybe two. Instead, they use straps when they're pulling for reps. What do you guys recommend I do? I'm only doing sets of 5 (as prescribed by SS) and not maxing out or anything, so should I just start using straps or try hook grip for all 5 reps or what? Thanks.

I switched over to hook gripping my heavy DL sets of 5, from mixed grip, a little over a year ago and like it very much. But if you've never used the hook grip for anything heavy, you might not be able to jump right into using it for your heavy 5s. Have you hooked before, and if so, for how much weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I switched over to hook gripping my heavy DL sets of 5, from mixed grip, a little over a year ago and like it very much. But if you've never used the hook grip for anything heavy, you might not be able to jump right into using it for your heavy 5s. Have you hooked before, and if so, for how much weight?
    I remember that you switched to hook grip when you reset a year or so ago. Have you continued to use it? Did the numbness issue go away eventually?

I do all hook grip for all sets of 5, but I'm weak so that isn't too relevant. I'd say do hook grip unless you feel your grip is being overtrained. You may need to work up to it though as it can hurt like a bitch at first I've heard. I never had an issue with it, but I started with it when I was even weaker than I am currently if that's even possible.

I've only used the hook grip for PC's and the most weight I did was 150x3

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    I remember that you switched to hook grip when you reset a year or so ago. Have you continued to use it? Did the numbness issue go away eventually?
    I have indeed, and the numbness issue went away very quickly; after a heavy set of five, there's some minor discomfort but really quite minor most of the time. Certainly less than the discomfort in the rest of my body after a heavy set of 5 pulls!

As of the last time I was going heavy in my pulls (September), I started losing my ability to hold on to my hook at around 575, and had to switch to mixed grip for max singles. I hope to continue to strengthen it so I can pull with a hook at meets as well. But I have been using it exclusively for sets of 5, including the 515x5 I did on Monday, since January, 2013, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I've only used the hook grip for PC's and the most weight I did was 150x3
    I suggest taking some time to get used to hooking at heavier weights before throwing yourself into it for your work sets.

If you currently do 315x5, you probably warm up something like this: 135x5, 225x3, 275x1 or 2. So do this:
    135x5 - hook
    225x3 - hook
    275x1/2 - mixed
    315x5 - mixed

Do the same thing the next time when you do 320.

When you do 325, stop hooking the 135, but hook 225 and your last warm-up as well. Do that again the next time, when you pull 330.

When you pull 335, hook only your last warm-up and the work set. See how it goes.

FWIW, I started taping my thumbs. It helps a lot when you get above 315. It's only one layer of tape, so it's "legal," and I do it with a bent joint so I still have mobility.

Taping thumbs is an option. Most people don't need it for low volume pulling (5-6 or fewer total working weight reps), but nothing wrong with it if you do.

starting strength coach development program
    I have pathetically small thumbs and and a big fat palm. I worked my way into the hook grip by just holding 135-30sx3 after every workout, for two weeks. The thumbs hardened up. Then I started taping them for cleans and snatches. After a while I started deadlifting with a hook, which helped my deadlift a lot. I do a lot of cleans and snatches (with straps and hook grip), and deadlift every 15ish days with a hook. I always tape up my thumbs pretty thoroughly- about 5-7 layers. It helps a lot if you're pulling frequently and/or have bitch thumbs, such as I.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast