starting strength gym

Thread: My friend would like a squat form check.

Default My friend would like a squat form check.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is my lifting partner squatting 240 x 5. If a coach could give feedback, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6ZW2D2VrPEGQC5yVTC

Not gonna lie Denken, your lifting partner's squat needs a lot of work. Focus on these few changes first and then post another check:

1. Initiate with hips and knees together, not knees first, and lean over. Don't try to keep a vertical torso.
    2. As you (or someone) pointed out to him: don't go so deep. Stay tight through the descent, and initiate the hip drive with a voluntary movement of driving the hips upwards out of the hole. Don't bounce the hamstrings off calves.
    3. Pick a spot on the floor a few feet in front of you, and stare at it. The whole time. The entire way down and up. All 5 reps. Even when it gets hard. Do not look at anything but this spot, so your head position need not ever move.

235 x 5:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4UJHfE6e784GZ5BAgf

I'm not sure if this is a relevant issue or not, but my friend takes an asymmetric stance. His left foot is moderately angled, but his right foot is angled out more. He told me he's duck-footed. He tried both feet at about 30 degrees, squatted down and let his feet turn out naturally and that's the stance he ended up with. Is this an issue?

Those are much better. Depth, hip drive, and gaze all significantly improved.

I'd like to see better control of the low back, keeping it in extension at the bottom, so have your buddy read the relevant sections in the book and watch the video here on the website about back position control. More overall tightness for the entire movement, as well.

It's hard to comment on his stance from this angle. Based on what you describe, it may be ok but it's hard to know without seeing it in person and being able to walk around and observe from different angles.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k21nJYwp8jaJQs5FZ6N

I can see his low back is still unlocking a little. Should I suggest he back down to 225 and work his way back up? Or any other advice?

He needs to learn how to keep his back locked in extension, and then apply that during the set under the bar. Since I am not sure if he can do #1, it's hard to give concrete advice beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    He needs to learn how to keep his back locked in extension, and then apply that during the set under the bar. Since I am not sure if he can do #1, it's hard to give concrete advice beyond that.
    I checked to see if he could do it while standing like in the video with Rip and I'm pretty sure he can. He and I will continue to work on this and I'll post again if there's any improvement. Thanks so much for your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Be sure it's his lumbar erectors that are contracting. He should be able to produce the contraction without moving his chest at all.