starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate Programming for a 16 Year Old

Default Intermediate Programming for a 16 Year Old

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey coach, so I’m a 16 year old lifter and I’ve been following the NLP for about 8 weeks now.

Here’s some of my stats for where I my next workouts will be:
    Height 6’0
    Weight: 200 lbs
    Squat 3x5 - 250
    Bench 3x5 - 167.5
    Deadlift 1x5 - 295
    Press 3x5 - 105
    Clean 5x3 - 150

I ran a shitty LP with improper recovery last year and got to a BW of like 175, but this year I got serious and put on another 25 pounds and don’t plan on stopping.

Let me make it clear that I’m not trying to jump to intermediate training this early this is just a curiosity question for me in the far future of my training. Do you have kids under 18 run very stressful programs like the Texas Method? I’m asking because I’ve never heard of this happening and I’m wondering if it’s viable when I come to that point in my training.

I also wanna say thanks to Starting Strength for helping me get to these numbers which I would’ve never thought possible as the 135 lb kid I used to be. I’m currently trying to get to about 220 lbs as fast as possible to help achieve my goals as a lifter, which include a 405 squat and a 225 bench.

Quote Originally Posted by bluederp View Post
    I’m currently trying to get to about 220 lbs as fast as possible to help achieve my goals as a lifter, which include a 405 squat and a 225 bench.
    Stick with Starting Strength principles and you'll hit those numbers in a year, easy.

If you're old enough to run the NLP, you're old enough to run the Texas method.

The reason you haven't heard of it happening is because, usually, no one under 18 needs to switch to intermediate programming for any reason. When they do, it is usually because of confounding recovery demands (sports/appetite, etc ), and the Texas Method is unsuited to anyone whose time outside the gym isn't completely devoted to recovering from the workouts. All that considered, you'll probably have more success with the Texas method than most of the older people who run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Stick with Starting Strength principles and you'll hit those numbers in a year, easy.
    He should hit them in 12 weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    All that considered, you'll probably have more success with the Texas method than most of the older people who run it.
    ...but probably not as much success as you'd get with a properly run NLP over the same time.

I sure hope so, that’s what I plan to do

starting strength coach development program
    This makes sense, thank you