starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of adventure PR's

Default End of adventure PR's

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm about to end a 4+ month deployment, 127 out of 128 consecutive 12 hour days of work.
    My squats peaked after doing a linear progression restart. I got too fat drinking milk so I tried 5-3-1 to maintain my gains while losing body fat. I ended up losing strength pretty fast (my fault for not applying 5-3-1 well and getting kind of burned out). I ended up at 3x5x285lbs before I fell off the cliff.
    (my prior best was when I was doing 5x5's at 240lbs)

I'm still in PR territory for deadlifts and weighted chins though. I'm going for 1x5x315 for deadlifts (PR is 1x5x305).
    For chins I'm trying to decide whether to go for 1 x BW+85 (my next 5lb increment) or to get greedy and go for two 45lbs plates and get the psychological boost and bragging rights. BW+80 went up slow, but fairly smooth.

What to do?

I could have had some recent PR's in bench press but I've been cursed by a rash of hyper active spotters that can't keep their hands off of the stinking bar. Does Rip still offer to have these people killed? My fault I guess for not making my point clear enough.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 07-28-2010 at 04:59 AM.

Geez, Wayne, the squat and DL is in line with an old guy, but BW +85 press? That's HUGE. Even if you were a skinny punk, that would be in the 240 range.

So I'm figuring I'm missing something.

With any luck, though, you're in transit now and thoroughly drunk in some airport bar. Cheers!

Haha, yeah, you missed something. He said weighted chins, not press!

If I get 90, that'll be about 285 for my single rep chin. I don't know if that's awesome or not, but I'm going with it's pretty awesome until someone shoots me down.

For some reason I'm way less inhibited about chins than dead lifts or squats. I don't fear my arms pulling apart as much as I fear getting crushed under a bar or having my back permanently wrenched into a distorted pretzel shape dead lifting.

Oh, and first the PR's, then business class all the way... bring on the beer!
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 07-28-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Weighted chins... yeah... that's what he wrote.

Enjoy the flight out, they're the best.

Got it:
    3x5x315 on the dead lift and
    1x1xBW+90 on the chins.

Now I'm ready to go home if the dust doesn't ground me.

So what's your press?

I hear that wx in DC is screwing up the rotators, hope that doesn't snag you.

My best so far, which was a couple of months ago was 3x5x127.5lbs
    I'm down a bit from that, I just did 3x5x115.

I'm curious how my chinup compares to my other lifts. 285 is close to a 1RM squat for me, I'm only DLing 315. That seems strange but I don't really know.

I'm flying through Chicago. It's dusty, but I'm flying out on fixed wing, commercial. They don't seem to be bothered as much by dust.

* fingers crossed *

Come to think of it, if I counted my body weight in my other lifts (which would be harder to do) it probably isn't that disproportionate after all.

starting strength coach development program
    I calculate body weight into everything, especially bench, because that is really where it comes into play the most......;-)

Enjoy being at home Wayne, I am about 3 months behind you on a 6 monther, but I get 24hours off every six days, how you like that! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast