starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power rack vs Squat stands

Default Power rack vs Squat stands

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been using a home-made wooden power rack but I'm moving in a few months and would love to get myself a nice setup.
    I'll probably be in a basement apartment or a 1 bedroom apartment so size is an issue.

Is there a big difference between getting a full power rack or getting some squat stands with the safety arms? Is there anything I'll be struggling to complete in SS with just stands as opposed to a rack? I do like the attachments that some of the racks can add like

It looks like a full rack is only a few hundred more than a squat rack with safeties.
    Also does anyone use the rogue S-1,2 or 3? How do you like it?

Depending on the stands, they might be less stable then a rack.

I use an S1 with spotter arms. Like you, I am limited by space constraints so I went with the stands. I've been pleased with my decision and can do all the SS lifts just fine with it, but if there had been space I would definitely have gone with a rack just because it seems much more versatile in the long term.

Ive been using the s2 for about a month now and its working out perfectly. I got the spotter arms as well cause I bench alone. I also bought the matador dip attachment. All in all I would say this set up is perfect for someone with space issues. I sold my power cage on cl and replaced it with the s2...couldn't be happier.

swervedriver, is your S2 bolted down? If not, how stable does it feel when racking and unracking heavy-ish weight? Tried doing rack pulls or anything off of the safeties?

i dont have it bolted down because i dont feel its really necessary. however rogue does sell mounting feet. another option is to weigh the s2 down with the plate storage attachment. i really dont think either is a necessity though. it might move a little if youre doing kipps, but i do regular chins so idk. its sturdy as fuck. its a heavy duty piece of equipment. it doesnt move an inch when racking a 225 squat. the spotter arms and j cups are rated at 1000 pds.

I just bought the R3 and I was unsure when it arrived if i made the right decision in regards to rack or stand.

Each day I am more more happy I bought it.
    I can bench heavy weights till failure because of the pins, and don't have to arch to keep from hitting the pins while trying to get full ROM. At my gym their expensive rack has like 2-3 inch hole spacing and sucks compared to my rogue rack.

Also bands are pretty fun to use, even if you don't need them. Plus chins and pullups, leg lifts, etc.
    Last edited by MEbigUsmall; 06-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.

I am not handy at all and just built a 8x8 platform with the help of rogue and asking them a million questions. I heard westside just bolts the same rack to 3 sheets of ply wood.

I ended up just stacking 4 sheets of ply wood side by side, gluing them all and drilling screws in. If you want I'll take a picture.

Rogue linked me instructions to build a real sound proof rack but I'm not hands enough and don't care.

I would def go with rogue and then I would def go with the R-3 and their flat bench.
    Last edited by MEbigUsmall; 06-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340135282.800487.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340135356.718260.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340135408.999134.jpg

I have not attached the rack yet because I need to move the platform and am waiting for friends to help.
    I'm using my phone, so sorry for triple posting and not organizing better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast