starting strength gym

Thread: Twice Per Week Intermediate Programming

Default Twice Per Week Intermediate Programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Andy,

I've been running my own variation of the 5/1 protocol for about a year with some positive results but nothing crazy. It worked well for me because I was training for Officer tests and my second child was born last September so my recovery is not optimal lol.

Squat: 435
    Bench: 300
    Deadlift: 455
    Press: 200

I'm currently in a caloric deficit to shed some of the fat I've gained during my 123 lbs to 243 lbs journey, currently at 225 lbs down from January, and when I make a GainzZz comeback I'd like to stay on a 2 day per week training schedule but I want to switch things up in the hopes I'll make better progress this time around, plus I fucking hate AMRAP!

Any thoughts on this template? Or is there a better 2 day per week template for a consistent but lazy lifter such as myself?

A:

Squat: 3-5 sets of 5 (85% of 5RM)
    Bench: 3-5 sets of 5 (85% of 5RM)
    Accessory work

B:

Light Squats: 2 sets of 5 (80% of Workout A)
    Press: 3-5 sets of 5 (85% of 5RM)
    Deadlift: 1x3-5RM, 2x5 (90% of 3-5RM)
    Accessory work

C:

Squat: 1x3-5RM, 2x3-5 (90% of 3-5RM)
    Bench: 1x3-5RM, 2x3-5 (90% of 3-5RM)
    Accessory work

D:

Press: 1x3-5RM, 2x3-5 (90% of 3-5RM)
    Deadlift: 3-5 sets of singles (90% of 1RM)
    Accessory work

*It's on a 16 day cycle (I train once every 4 days due to time constraints and recovery) and I'm trying to keep with the volume week/intensity week pattern... it's nice mentally.
    **My eyes are crossed taking in all the info from the book and the forums and then putting it all together into an intermediate program... so forgive me if this is already a template mentioned on this forum or even in the book for that matter!

Yes, something like this could work very well. Some lifters respond better to more frequency/total volume, but isn't always a practical reality. I'd have no reservations starting with this and then just adjusting as you go based on results

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond Andy! I forgot to add the light Squats in on Workout D.

5/1 had me add 10 lbs to deads and squats every 2 weeks and 5 lbs to Press and bench. Would you continue this trend or would a more conservative 5 lbs and 2.5 lbs per 2 weeks work better?

Conservative is always better in the long run but you have to decide on a day by day basis not general rules of progression. If it feels easy for your worksets you can load a little more aggressively.