starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80-90% of 1Rm: no-man's land?

Default 80-90% of 1Rm: no-man's land?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is the proposition made by Jordan in this post: Instagram

What do you guys think? If true then it would seem to exclude 5s from one's program, unless (maybe) done just under 80% for many sets?

Murelli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    This is the proposition made by Jordan in this post: Instagram

What do you guys think? If true then it would seem to exclude 5s from one's program, unless (maybe) done just under 80% for many sets?
    5@80% is a real fucking grind, and I believe is not recommended by anyone after you finish LP. I may be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    5@80% is a real fucking grind, and I believe is not recommended by anyone after you finish LP. I may be wrong though.
    That's like RPE 7.5. Not a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    This.

Andy Baker uses that % range plenty. Jordan's position is specific to "high frequency" training. I would say that the majority of people aren't going to lift 6x per week, so no, it doesn't exclude using 5s from your program, especially you are lifting on a 4-day push-pull or a 3-day full body program. If that's you, the 80-85% range will probably make up a whole lot of your volume.

Murelli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    This.

Andy Baker uses that % range plenty. Jordan's position is specific to "high frequency" training. I would say that the majority of people aren't going to lift 6x per week, so no, it doesn't exclude using 5s from your program, especially you are lifting on a 4-day push-pull or a 3-day full body program. If that's you, the 80-85% range will probably make up a whole lot of your volume.
    Yeah, I totally was wrong and that surely was a brain fart. Even PPST:3 shows that 5@80% is considered a medium effort. Heavy would be 8@80%, or around 5-6@85%.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    5 @80% is a 7.5-8 for me which isn't a grind, but isn't easy. I've found 80% is a good place to cap a 5x5 for an accumulation block.

. Jordan's position is specific to "high frequency" training.
    I'm not sure it is... he actually refers to "in general", "non novice" lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    I'm not sure it is... he actually refers to "in general", "non novice" lifters.
    "I will find that people automatically assume they can't squat 2 or 3x a week- or more."

"Low volume, low frequency... Train more frequently... Suboptimal results with respect to frequency..."

Here's the deal with statements like this post: most people aren't looking for "optimal". Really. Most people are looking for "what can I do given my life constraints".

For example, if squatting 1x a week is suboptimal but you only get 2x per week to lift, there's a decent chance you'll only squat 1x/week. Suboptimal vs 3-4x week of squats? Boo hoo.

... Here's the deal with statements like this post: most people aren't looking for "optimal". Really. Most people are looking for "what can I do given my life constraints".

For example, if squatting 1x a week is suboptimal but you only get 2x per week to lift, there's a decent chance you'll only squat 1x/week. Suboptimal vs 3-4x week of squats? Boo hoo.
    Suboptimal programming just means slower acquisition of results than optimal programming. You can do VERY well with suboptimal programming, provided there is consistency and rigid insistence on progression.

starting strength coach development program
    80%+ is where strength is built. If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast