starting strength gym

Thread: Thank you

Default Thank you

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey Rip,

I just wanted to thank you for the starting strength progression and for all the strength training material you put out. I am surprised at how many people seem to have issues following the program. I think one of its strong points compared to other novice linear progressions is that you simply have to do the program. You don't have to worry about all out sets or anything complex, you just add the weight and get the sets done. If you can do that, it will work.

Gaining weight was the best thing I ever did. I did GOMAD for about a month and just generally ate more. I set a target weight of 200, starting at 179. Lifting completely on my own I worked up to squatting 300x5x3 at ~205 lbs. At that point I knew the weights were getting heavy enough that I should start training with a coach / training partners. I pushed then linear progression a bit more and then moved to 5/3/1. I just competed in my first powerlifting meet, which I never would have done without you pushing importance of competing.

My current stats are:
    5' 10" 214lbs 29
    Squat 380 meet / (400 gym)
    Press 185
    Bench 264.5
    DL 501.5

I don't think I'm anything special and I still have lots of progression ahead of me. I just followed the programming and ate some food. Everyone just do the program. And thanks again.

You're special in that you did the program when all your buddies didn't. Nice job.