starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/Deadlift videos

Default Squat/Deadlift videos

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coach,

Hope you're doing well. Here are my squat/dl videos from my second session back after the Achilles injury.

Squat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_O8ayltVA&t=3

From what I see there are at least two mistakes
    1) Needs more hip drive, you can kinda see my head bobble up a little as if I'm lifting with my head?

2) Seems to me I'm at least 2 inches high on some of them.

Would you agree with my sentiment?

Deadlift:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXQ0vd5gwc&t=33

I felt that my setup seemed fine, not sure I was bringing the bar down 100% though and I can't really drop those weights at the gym.

I'd really appreciate any tips on the videos and my self-critique so I can keep learning more.

Thanks Coach.

Your squats look okay, but you have cleverly positioned the camera so that I cannot see your depth. Very shrewd.

Your deadlift is quite fucked up. For starters, your ass will not be higher than your shoulders when you start the pull, and the barbell will not move forward off the floor if the pull is efficient. This is covered in detail, ah ... elsewhere.

Since your asking for my opinion, I think you eat too many carbs.

Fair enough lol. I'll get a better squat angle. I'll reread the deadlift section and hopefully it'll refresh my memory for form.

As for carbs, trust me I know lol. Hopefully this go around of SS will help in that department.

Do you find it acceptable to reach a certain point in the lifts and stay "stuck" so that body fat reduction becomes the main focus after noob gains potentials are reached?

No, because it's not necessary to be stuck while you lose bodyfat.

Is that an attempt at a RDL? (Look it up in the book under assist lifts.) if that's your actual deadlifts, please read the deadlifts section again. Put your butt down and head up.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    Is that an attempt at a RDL? (Look it up in the book under assist lifts.) if that's your actual deadlifts, please read the deadlifts section again. Put your butt down and head up.
    The main issue I've realized is that I was trying to keep my chest up and was too paranoid of lowering my hips that I went to an extreme and thus the form was terrible. I'll correct it and post the better attempts tomorrow after the gym.

starting strength coach development program
    Zulander, the book describes the lifts but I found the DVD to be far more helpful as a learning aid. I would strongly urge you get the DVD. It would be well worth the money you would otherwise spend on healthcare if you fuck your back up due to incorrect technique.

Or maybe you could find a coach in your area?