starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a rough DL/Power CLean ratio?

Default Is there a rough DL/Power CLean ratio?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    We have no bumper plates available at gym, so Bar height becomes an issue if you clean sub 135....not much in the way of propping up a lower weight either to raise it off the floor. I guess I could stack some plates up.... the guy at the leg press may get annoyed though.

Junior has bumper plates at school, but I am not sure if anyone there knows what the hell they are doing, so I would like to at least observe him performing the lift.

He is probably has months of NLP yet, pulling 255 for 5's now.

Bumpers are kind of a requirement for the clean unless you want to gingerly set them down every single rep. Which is exhausting and a pain in the ass. No offense intended with this, but you are relatively new to the program, yes? You had extreme difficulties with correcting Junior's squat form. What benefit do you believe Junior will derive by having you watch his clean? If you don't have the eye to see what is wrong with a squat, how can you have any hope of spotting issues with a much, much faster lift? It is adorable that you are trying to learn all of this to help your son, but you do have to realize your own limitations as a coach.

To answer your question from the title though, there is no such rough ratio. The explosivity of an athlete is highly variable. Junior can clean what he can clean. and he should use bumper plates.

YouTube

You drop to your thighs and lower from there.

I've generally heard a goal that the power clean should be ~50% your deadlift. Typically it is lower than that though.

For me my power clean is something like 40%.

I stand corrected.

I've been doing it off and on for awhile, due to some health issues.

I got confused on the squat, because I was taking the straight wrists, as outlined in the illustration in the book as gospel, and without that you were fucked.

I was able to set up like in the book first time out, I just couldnt understand why he couldnt.

once he widened his hands as much as possilbe and made allowances for his wrists not being straight, like in the art of manliness video (that guy is way younger than me, and his wrists arent straight, hence more confusion) he got his set up straightened out.

Someone messaged me and made me aware about the wrist straightness not being the be all and end all and the least of his worries...

I don't claim to be an expert but if he is lifting with me I can at least video and we can break it down afterward.

May be all moot though, as I am sure he has plenty of LP in front of him and he probably wont be cleaning for awile... hopefully the track coach has a clue because the football staff seems kind of weak with this stuff.

I can set a sub-135 clean gently onto a couple stacks of flat plates, I used to do this all the time. It's a bit finicky, but it works.

I've since bought a pair of 5-lb hard plastic "technique plates" of full diameter to use instead. Cost about $70 from Amazon.

For very little money, a handy person could make a pair of plywood disks the right size for this purpose.

That's a good Idea.. I may just pick up my own bumper plates. I wasn't really power cleaning due to being a 47 year old mechanic.. but it always looked cool so I wanted to try.

Cripes I am full of questions with obvious answers today.. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    We have no bumper plates available at gym, so Bar height becomes an issue if you clean sub 135....not much in the way of propping up a lower weight either to raise it off the floor. I guess I could stack some plates up.... the guy at the leg press may get annoyed though.

Junior has bumper plates at school, but I am not sure if anyone there knows what the hell they are doing, so I would like to at least observe him performing the lift.

He is probably has months of NLP yet, pulling 255 for 5's now.
    You can easily build a pair of boxes to set the weights on so they will be the correct height. If he plans to clean 95 lbs, you need to build a 3 to 3 1/2" thick box. I took some 4x4 and cut them up and put some 1/2" plywood on top. I used 5" screws to screw the 4x4s together and just used some 1" screws for the plywood. I also used a 2x6 to frame the whole thing with the lip on top. I didn't want the weights to roll off. They don't have to be very big...mine are only 12" x 18" and they work well. The kids only used them for a short time during their LP. I still find them useful for mid shin block pulls though. It will only cost you a few bucks and it will be nice to have in your home gym.

If you are doing Power Cleans to help your Deadlift, you are wasting your time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    That's a good Idea.. I may just pick up my own bumper plates. I wasn't really power cleaning due to being a 47 year old mechanic.. but it always looked cool so I wanted to try.
    Power cleans are cool, and fun. I'm not sure they are actually *useful* for someone my age (51) but I want to find out. The great 2018 old-guy Power Cleans experiment

I might buy a few pairs bumpers for this, or just continue to set things down gently.

If you want, and are doing an intermediate program next year that fits this sort of programming experiment, you could joint Hanley and I -- we're doing Science.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast