starting strength gym

Thread: Form check

Default Form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Wondering if you guys can see what's wrong with this squat.

I started Andy's k.i.s.s. program for squats while retrying to learn the low bar squat, after months of doing high bar. Last week I did 275lbs for 5x5 and the next day my right knee felt very tight and kept cracking often through out the day. It wouldn't hurt but it was definitely uncomfortable. Today I did 280lbs for 5x5 and felt a similar sensation this time half way through my work sets. I felt it the most when I would imitate doing a hamstring curl while standing up, the knee would get tight. I decided to film my last set of 280lbs and take a look at it. Its not the best angle, so I'll work on getting more videos next week. It kind of looks like I'm holding the bar higher on my back than I should but it might because the camera was tilted up. I added another picture for reference where I would hold the bar.

http://vid1355.photobucket.com/album...psgxpj2vme.mp4
    Password is squat1
    IMG_0018.jpg

The bar is probably too high up on your back, although I cannot say for sure from the video and your photos don't show up. There's nothing particularly injurious-looking about your squat. If you pointed your toes out a little more, your knees might be less likely to come in on the ascent, but that's about as much as I can say from a video shot directly from behind. I am afraid I don't know why your knee is bothering you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The bar is probably too high up on your back, although I cannot say for sure from the video and your photos don't show up. There's nothing particularly injurious-looking about your squat. If you pointed your toes out a little more, your knees might be less likely to come in on the ascent, but that's about as much as I can say from a video shot directly from behind. I am afraid I don't know why your knee is bothering you.
    Thanks for approving this. I'm going to get better videos this Tuesday and update it on this post.

As far as bar placement, today as I was warming up for deadlifts I did a couple of sets with the squat. I tried to place the bar lower than what I have in the video. But when I do I felt the bar pushing against my scapula, the bar also tended to roll up at the bottom of the squat, which I remember Mr. Rippetoe saying that it might mean that the bar is too low.

Have you watched the bar placement video? If not, it will probably be of use.