starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coaches,

Just wanted to check in and get my squat form critiqued. Below is 230x5. I'm sure there's a few things that need improvement but all in all I feel good about it. It felt pretty strong and easy.

If I were being my own critic I'd think I have a tendency to let my hips drift back as I come out of the hole instead of straight up. Not sure if that's because the bar is getting too far forward on the way down or what. I'm a shitty squatter and I've finally made some progress as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-F3...ature=youtu.be

Not too bad. One or two of your reps may have been borderline high. Widen your stance very slightly and drive your knees out more. Your first move when you start the descent is to overextend your spine. Don't do that. Lock everything down with a big breath of air and a hard contraction of the trunk musculature and don't allow your back to move at all as you descend.

Awesome, thanks Tom. I was wondering if I was over-extending at the top. I have obscenely long legs(re:femurs) and a short torso so learning how to squat has been...challenging....I'll give that a shot on my next squat session and grab another video. Appreciate all you guys do.