starting strength gym

Thread: So you think you can squat series

Default So you think you can squat series

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,
    wanted to hear comments from you about this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao&feature=kp
    I'm still confused about head position, elbow pointing down or behind...the more I know the more I seem to re-learn (kinda frustrating) and even if my 1rm is a decent - for my age (48) - 210Kg. and I think I can squat properly, I read about substantial differnces betweeen coaches/athetes. Why are there so many different interpretations of this primary exercise?? Is there a definitive guide so that one can say "I can squat"?
    Thanks a lot,
    David

As you no doubt noticed, there are some differences between the squat model presented in SSBBT3 and what is shown and taught in that video. I can't decide for you which way to squat, or if perhaps there is yet another as-yet-unknown way which is even better. You have to evaluate the quality of the analyses and decide for yourself.

The thing I like most about SS is that we can tell you why we do things the way we do, and why we think it is superior, and there isn't any bro-science. I encourage my clients to ask "why", and I'm confident I can answer, or find a smart person here to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    The thing I like most about SS is that we can tell you why we do things the way we do, and why we think it is superior, and there isn't any bro-science. I encourage my clients to ask "why", and I'm confident I can answer, or find a smart person here to answer.
    Very much this. It's what attracted a lot of us to SS in the first place.

Not referring specifically to that video, but in general, I find that a lot of trainers/coaches answer the question "why" very simply, without actually explaining why, and many athletes/clients just accept it. SS attracts a lot of people for whom that simple answer didn't suffice. For example, coach tells athlete to point feet forward and squat down till the thighs are about parallel to the ground. "Why?" "Because that'll work your quads best and going lower is bad for your knees." It answers the question simply, but doesn't explain the why of the why. Because it can't, because it's wrong.

We can tell you the why of the why, and it makes sense and is part of a greater logical framework. I like this.

I was catching up with a friend in London recently, getting in some squatting at his gym, a Virgin Active. During my warm up (160kg), the PT walked over and said "I've seen better form" loud enough for everyone to hear. I asked him what was wrong with my form, he told me I need to "keep a vertical back".

Long story short, I was able to explain why I squat the way I do, and he was unable to explain why I should keep a straight back. I used physics, he just key saying "straight back".

It's happened a few times now, and it's always satisfying to be able to answer the questions.

I squatted 182.5kg x 5 that session. The PT squatted 140kg, 6 inches above parallel and without a vertical back.

Sorry if this is derailing.

starting strength coach development program
    A fine example like that is never derailing, Mr. Longley. Squat on (without a vertical back, of course)!