starting strength gym

Thread: Your First Major Leaguer

Default Your First Major Leaguer

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My cousin made it. He's getting a shot as utility infielder for the Padres, listed as their number 2 shortstop. This off-season he's eaten well, drank milk, and done a basic SS LP to put on strength and size.

I don't have his stats for weight gain offhand, but we'll see how this season runs for him. The off-season was fairly short for him since he wasn't able to start training again until around Dec 1 and spring training has already started out in Arizona. I believe he'll continue progressing but with slightly less volume during spring training.

Once he gets to in-season, he's going to continue focusing on the major lifts, but will probably only SQ and DL once a week, given the ridiculous travel schedule, long practices, etc that generally would make squatting 3 days a week self-defeating. I don't know the exact program he'll be using in season and what not.

Now, if he can maintain his strength and body weight this season he'll be all set up to turn into a monster next winter.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/team/...ayer_id=474249

http://friarsonbase.com/2014/02/04/2...art-shortstop/

Very cool. Keep us posted on his progress with the team. What are his non-baseball numbers?

I don't have a full breakdown, but these are the numbers I have as of 1/8/14 after starting in probably first week of December...
    BP 185 -> 235
    OP 155 -> ?
    SQ 225 -> 275
    DL 205 -> 285
    don't know PC numbers or his BW currently.

Keep in mind he was very atrophied coming out of the season completely over-trained... In a perfect world, I would have been able to help him more if I were in steady contact with him, but that's the way it goes. He was training on his own the whole time, so not terrible progress for basically 5 weeks of serious training.

Pretty good for 5 weeks unsupervised. What happened to his press? Soon he'll be able to afford a coach.