starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealift grip

Question Dealift grip

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

I've been trying to use the grip you suggested for the deadlift. My hands are big but I have very short fingers. My palms are both longer and wider than the length of my fingers.

Using my regular grip (the one that gives you a lot of callus) I can deadlift 200kg without straps using a mixed grip or 170kg double overhand. Using your grip I cant get 140kg of the ground. I tried deadlifting 210kg with straps but failed so atm my grip isnt holding me back. Just have huge calluses.

What would you suggest
    1. use regular, callus mania, grip
    2. use your grip and thus use straps even at 140kg
    3. ... something better?

never tore a callus btw.

Thanks,
    Robert

Use the strongest grip for you. You have to hold onto the bar to deadlift.

Not mentioned but... you're using chalk right?

I start with the bar in the lowest possible place in my fingers (same as chins). In other words not grabbing it like a monkey, which is the unconsidered way to grab something. As Rip has written this is where it's going to end up anyway. This has left a tough pad on the proximal and middle sections of the fingers, but not a massive problem bump like what you'll get from a sliding bar or bozo kipping pullups. That said, my DL is at grasshopper weights compared to yours, so maybe this will all change in a month, but it makes sense to me.

This may seem to be too easy a concept to mention, but not everyone is aware of it. You don't have to let your calluses grow huge.

I take my calluses down every week or two using a ped egg. There are other methods you can use too to take care of your hands.

Robert, from reading your post I didn't see any mention of the hook grip. Have you tried that yet?

I started using a double-overhand hook grip with deadlifts when the standard alternating grip started to bother my shoulder, and after getting used to it I find it works great. My fingers are way smaller than my palms too, and I find the hook grip moves the bar up further into my hands without letting it slide like a palm-grip does.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Mark,

My palms are both longer and wider than the length of my fingers.
    Is this abnormal?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Using my regular grip (the one that gives you a lot of callus) I can deadlift 200kg without straps using a mixed grip or 170kg double overhand. Using your grip I cant get 140kg of the ground. I tried deadlifting 210kg with straps but failed so atm my grip isnt holding me back. Just have huge calluses.
    What's "your grip"? You can pull 170 double overhand but can't pull 140 with some other sort of grip? Are you trying the hook grip or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Is this abnormal?
    If it is, it's news to me.

Yes I use chalk. Ripp has made it clear not to ask qeustion if you dont
    Robert, from reading your post I didn't see any mention of the hook grip. Have you tried that yet?
    Yes tried that. But my thumb doesn't like it. Don't mind the discomfort during lifting but the joint hurts several days.
    What's "your grip"? You can pull 170 double overhand but can't pull 140 with some other sort of grip? Are you trying the hook grip or something?
    With your grip is ment the grip Ripp describes in his video managing calluses. Using that my fingers go only half way rond the bar. One heavy pull and they slip of.

Thanks for the replies. I'll use ripps grip on my warmups as long as i can, than switch to my regular grip. Hopefully it will improve over time.

If not i'll start filing down my calluses or just don't care about them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Use the strongest grip for you. You have to hold onto the bar to deadlift.
    Can't argue with that. I'll quit moaning and just lift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast