starting strength gym

Thread: The Role of Assistance Exercises in Strength Training | Mark Rippetoe

Default The Role of Assistance Exercises in Strength Training | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    [T]he critical question is simply, what is the purpose of assistance exercises? Are they necessary, and if so, when?

Read more

I haven't seen much mention of sled walks by Starting Strength. There can't be a more normal human movement pattern than walking. These can be easily loaded by a sled and I imagine you can progress these incrementally for quite some time. By the definition in the article then, they are strength training. Why aren't these talked about more?

Done with max weight for 5 strides, they might be considered "strength training." But that's not what you mean, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Mielke View Post
    I haven't seen much mention of sled walks by Starting Strength. There can't be a more normal human movement pattern than walking. These can be easily loaded by a sled and I imagine you can progress these incrementally for quite some time. By the definition in the article then, they are strength training. Why aren't these talked about more?
    Because they're redundant. Squats, deadlifts, presses, and rows do everything sled drags do, but better, and with better results. Try sled dragging only for 6 months and then do a max sled drag, then just squat and pull for 6 months and do another max sled drag. I bet you'll sled drag more after 6 months of no sled dragging than 6 months of only sled dragging.