starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body fat percent when doing NLP

Default Body fat percent when doing NLP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am in my 11th week of NLP. Been gaining weight at the rate of 1-1.5LB per week. Started at 150LB and now I am 167LB. My body fat has increased from 17% to 23%. I am getting worried about gaining more weight as my body fat will get to 25% soon which is categorized as obese. More than anything I am worried about hormonal functioning getting affected resulting in insulin resistance, thyroid functioning, testosterone level etc. I got my blood test done earlier this year in July and the result was good, everything in normal range. Should I plan on a blood test as I reach 25% body fat? Should I stop gaining and go on a maintenance diet or deficit diet once I reach 25% to bring my body fat down to lower level?

Height: 5ft 9in
    Weight: 167LB (I know I should be at higher weight, but I started low with higher fat%)

Lifts? The numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Lifts? The numbers?
    Week1 NLP:
    Squat - 195LB
    Deadlift - 245LB
    Press - 75LB
    Bench - 135LB

Week11 NLP:
    Squat - 300LB
    Deadlift - 345LB
    Press - 117LB
    Bench - 162LB

I have been slowing down the increments in the last 4 weeks. Squats are increasing at 2.5LB per session compared to 5LB (and even 10LB in the first few weeks). Deadlifts are at 5LB increments per session. Bench and Press are at 2.5LB per session and I fail to complete the 5th rep most of the time in the last set or last 2 sets.

What criteria are you using to determine body fat percentage?

I’m measuring my waist and neck inches. Waist is 36.7 in and neck is 15in. And I’m using this calculator - Body Fat Calculator

Did you fix your form problems? There’s no reason to increase load on the squat at less than 5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bharath Mukkati View Post
    More than anything I am worried about hormonal functioning getting affected resulting in insulin resistance, thyroid functioning, testosterone level etc. I got my blood test done earlier this year in July and the result was good, everything in normal range. Should I plan on a blood test as I reach 25% body fat?
    Think about this, Bharath - how long does it take for metabolic syndrome, thyroid issues, diabetes, etc. to develop in someone who doesn't have them? Especially someone so far from obese? Short answer: It generally takes longer than even a very well-executed, extended NLP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bharath Mukkati View Post
    More than anything I am worried
    This has been a common theme through all of your posts on the board. I mean this sincerely: a fear-based approach to training is not productive. Master it.

Waist measurement goes up real fast, and fluctuates pretty heavily. Not a useful data point except over the very long term. Your neck measurement WILL go up as you push the lifts up. Trust me.

As Rip is fond of noting, especially in individuals who started out somewhat slight, a good bit of that waist circumference gain will be muscle. You are not overfat, you are undermuscled. The solution is not less waist, it is more neck, which you do by gaining weight.

It's worth noting that "obese" being tied to body fat percentage is not strictly correct. It's a heuristic used to correct for the low obesity threshold given by BMI. "Obese" for a 5'9" guy is actually 203 pounds. You're not even overweight, and given that even your doctor doesn't think there's a problem, I really wouldn't worry about it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Did you fix your form problems? There’s no reason to increase load on the squat at less than 5 pounds.
    I've been working on my form. I feel like my knees don't cave much anymore and my hips are doing most of the work. Squatting with 2.5LB increment is more for my mind to handle the sessions better and feel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    This has been a common theme through all of your posts on the board. I mean this sincerely: a fear-based approach to training is not productive. Master it.
    Thanks for that insight, Matt. It's hard to be fearless without support system. I guess this forum is acting as a support system now. Working on it... I'm always a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Waist measurement goes up real fast, and fluctuates pretty heavily. Not a useful data point except over the very long term. Your neck measurement WILL go up as you push the lifts up. Trust me.

As Rip is fond of noting, especially in individuals who started out somewhat slight, a good bit of that waist circumference gain will be muscle. You are not overfat, you are undermuscled. The solution is not less waist, it is more neck, which you do by gaining weight.

It's worth noting that "obese" being tied to body fat percentage is not strictly correct. It's a heuristic used to correct for the low obesity threshold given by BMI. "Obese" for a 5'9" guy is actually 203 pounds. You're not even overweight, and given that even your doctor doesn't think there's a problem, I really wouldn't worry about it.
    I was 167LB 4 years ago and at that time I didn't know how much an olympic barbel weighed, much less I had touched one . When I compare my 167LB 4 yrs ago v/s now I can say that my body looks and feels different and I definitely don't feel over weight or close to obese by any means. The question came to mind because I track my body weight and measurements and calculate body fat every week, similar to how I have my lifting log.
    I'll be less worried about my body fat with the explanation you gave, mainly "I'm not overfat but undermuscled". I believe that so much, given my journey from 167LB to 140LB and back to 167LB. Knowledge and learning keeps changing as we get exposure to new ideas and thought processes. It makes sense to keep learning and evolving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast