starting strength gym

Thread: Retirement Planning for Physical and Financial Health | SS Gyms Podast #64

Default Retirement Planning for Physical and Financial Health | SS Gyms Podast #64

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

Ray Gillenwater talks to John Kawauchi (60 years old) about a past shoulder injury, how he rehabbed with Starting Strength, financial advice for preparing for retirement, and life insurance.

• 01:35 Summary of John's shoulder injury
    • 04:44 Rotator cuff tear
    • 05:56 Everyday life with a shoulder injury
    • 07:50 Will's approach to PT
    • 11:06 Starting numbers
    • 16:18 Retirement planning
    • 18:40 What would you tell your old self?
    • 21:19 Training together with family
    • 30:31 How to prepare for retirement - financials
    • 34:02 Maximize your income
    • 36:22 Things that are not correlated will make your portfolio safer
    • 41:14 Don't invest in something you don't understand
    • 47:15 Life insurance advice

Great episode! Like Mr. Kawaguchi, I use the safety squat bar whenever my shoulder flares up.

This may be a long-shot, but I think there is a market and an audience for coaching Starting Strength practictioners (who can't low-bar back squat with a standsrd barbe) on the SSB squat. I think it would be great if SS could examine the SSB squat and determine how to use it optimally in terms of squat technique in line with the SS ethos.

I know many people use it and basically execute it as a high-bar squat (more upright torso, more forward knee travel), but I think it can be used in such a way that is more in line with the SS low bar squat.

Obviously it will never be a replacement for the low bar squat, but for many people it's the only type of squatting they're able to do, and having an SS coaching model for it may prove useful. Just an idea!

I agree. Older guy here and struggle getting a bad shoulder into proper position.

squat shoulder pain - solution - DIY bar handles

Rather than buy another bar or do high bar squats I've been using these DIY handles for three years. I'm 71 and my right shoulder problem is permanent . My handles are made with 8mm climbing rope and schedule 40 PVC. It takes a little experimenting to get the length right but well worth it for me. It's also nice that you can take them to any gym so you don't miss your squats when traveling.

Didn’t Dave Draper sell an attachment that essentially turns a regular barbell into a safety squat bar? Also a ssc showed me how to use a ssb with a way that places the load where a low bar squat would be, so I don’t really see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Also a ssc showed me how to use a ssb with a way that places the load where a low bar squat would be, so I don’t really see a difference.
    That's what I'm looking for essentially, how SS would coach the SSB squat

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Didn’t Dave Draper sell an attachment that essentially turns a regular barbell into a safety squat bar? Also a ssc showed me how to use a ssb with a way that places the load where a low bar squat would be, so I don’t really see a difference.
    The difference is at least $300 and portability to any bar in any gym to do regular low bar squats.
    Draper's Top Squat ($140 and 14#) allows you to squat (front and high bar) but not necessarily low bar without some funky hand positions.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    We use the Marrs Bar for people that can't use a straight bar - it's a safety squat bar with a low bar configuration. The only difference coaching-wise is the grip and arm placement.

Kabuki makes an adjustable one, too: The Transformer Bar - Adjustable 24-in-1 Safety Squat Bar - Kabuki Strength

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Ssc Cody annino showed me that you push up on the handles in order to make the weight in a low bar position if that makes sense. As in towards the ceiling, but it’s still a good grip. That was at least my interpretation of what he showed me at his gym, and it’s been working well for me this far