starting strength gym

Thread: advice on bodyweight and T supplementation

Default advice on bodyweight and T supplementation

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

Im 40, 5'10 230lbs been training 6 years. Right now on week 9 of TM and I have a PL meet in Feb. Things are going good, thanks for all your literature, content, and wisdom..

If i may ask your advice on training now that I am in my 40's:

1. My bodyweight is trending up, but so is strength. waist 40in....should I start reducing calories or keep getting stronger even if waistline keeps going up?

2. Started on Testosterone supplementation as my levels were in the upper 300s and i want them higher for the beneficial effects. i know you have a positive view on T, but do you think im starting too early? when would you start if you could theoretically go back?

Thank you sir,

Cole

1. 5'10" at 230 is not what the winners of the meet at 5'10" will weigh. You have a ways to go.

2. Is this a drug-tested meet?

1. The winner will be 260 but he will still have a 40 in waist. If I got to 260 my waist would be 45 and I would then be decreasing my overall health past the benefit of increasing my strength, so I guess I answered my own question here.

2. USAPL but I don't care, I PR for myself and the meet is the best platform for me to do this in, but it is not absolutely necessary. I have been to 5-6 meets and never been tested so I have weighed my options and decided that a ban is not a determining factor in my decision. I mostly just wanted your opinion on this as you are more educated on the subject than myself and have personal experience with it.

Thanks again,
    Cole

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    1. The winner will be 260 but he will still have a 40 in waist. If I got to 260 my waist would be 45 and I would then be decreasing my overall health past the benefit of increasing my strength, so I guess I answered my own question here.
    This may or may not be true. But if it is, no one is suggesting that you retain a 45" waist for the rest of your life, thus affecting your chronic health.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    2. USAPL but I don't care, I PR for myself and the meet is the best platform for me to do this in, but it is not absolutely necessary. I have been to 5-6 meets and never been tested so I have weighed my options and decided that a ban is not a determining factor in my decision.
    Are there no untested meets close to you? Check USPA, they have damn near the same quality of meets as USAPL and they have an untested division.

You're already in the 110 kg (242) class so you may as well keep getting stronger and fill it out. You could cut to 100 kg for your own reasons but I wouldn't do it for a meet unless you're after a record of some sort or if the meet is otherwise of significant importance and you think you can win or at least be top 3. No reason to cut if you're just Joe Average doing a meet for fun.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Are there no untested meets close to you? Check USPA, they have damn near the same quality of meets as USAPL and they have an untested division.
    for now I will keep competing in usapl since i have 5 or 6 meets with them already. if they decide to invade my personal business and wantto take my blood or urine i may just tell them to fuck off and go ahead and ban me. then i will seek out uspa