starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press Grip / Elbow Correction

Default Bench Press Grip / Elbow Correction

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach (or any other persons for that matter),

I would like to ask about the bench press and the grip/elbow position.

From the 3rd Edition manuscript:

The best way to position the grip efficiently is to set the grip width at the index finger, and then to rotate the hands into pronation by pointing the thumbs down toward the feet.

Wouldn't pointing the thumbs down toward the feet going to make it so that your elbows will be flared? i.e. if you put your hands right out in front of you, palms facing away from you, making it so that your thumbs are pointed towards your feet, your elbows will be rotating outwards, and thus essentially your humerus is about parallel with your shoulders. As we have all seen, isn't this a rather bad position to be in as it puts strain on the shoulders?

As I've read through various sources, it would make more sense to have your elbows closer into your body, wouldn't it? And thus your thumbs would be pointing more upwards, and when you bench press down into the bottom position, your elbows will be essentially trying to "touch the lats"or upper back, whereas with the thumbs pointed downwards towards the feet, your elbows in the bottom position of the bench press will be pointed outwards compared to inwards.

In addition, I watched this and it looks like to me that the elbow correction involves the thumb rotating or pointing upwards, not downwards to the foot like instructed in the book. I had thought pronation of the thumb (as described in the book) is supposed to be a cue for that elbow correction? Or are these two completely different things?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something significantly, could anyone please clarify on this?

Thank you,
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 01-26-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Link removed

Quote Originally Posted by itsDanny View Post
    As I've read through various sources, it would make more sense to have your elbows closer into your body, wouldn't it?
    I don't think you've read the book. I clearly (I think) explain the mechanics of elbow position.

Fortunately I have the read book, although the things that I read contradict to what I've seen in videos (i.e. the one above), even though they seem to be hitting exactly the techniques that you discuss about in your book, hence there are only a select few areas which I am bewildered about and would appreciate some clarification.

What I was trying to convey here is that, the grip you discussed about, with the pronation and internal rotation of the arms, would result in an elbow position that you discuss is not optimal. This is the case for me any way, so I'm concerned if it's to do with my anthropometric or if I'm interpreting the text incorrectly?

Wouldn't pointing the thumbs down toward the feet going to make it so that your elbows will be flared? i.e. if you put your hands right out in front of you, palms facing away from you, making it so that your thumbs are pointed towards your feet, your elbows will be rotating outwards, and thus essentially your humerus is about parallel with your shoulders. As we have all seen, isn't this a rather bad position to be in as it puts strain on the shoulders?
    It's my understanding that grip width mediates the flare of the elbow, and not the rotation of the hand/wrist.

Fortunately I have the read book, although the things that I read contradict to what I've seen in videos (i.e. the one above),
    Sorry, missed this in your OP. I normally don't link to outside training videos from this board. They can get their own forum. I've explained all me reasoning quite thoroughly. The grip position we discuss does not produce an incorrect arm/elbow position at the bottom of the ROM. I have conveniently included pictures of it being done correctly in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by subwindow View Post
    It's my understanding that grip width mediates the flare of the elbow, and not the rotation of the hand/wrist.
    You can put your elbows in a variety of positions at any grip width, so, no. Try it before you type.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have conveniently included pictures of it being done correctly in the book.
    I can't see clearly what the picture is depicting from the front-view exactly, especially if it has been an inverted shot or mirrored shot. Would it be possible that you have a demonstration of this from the back-view? i.e. behind the bar?

As far as I'm concerned, "pointing the thumbs down towards the feet" could be interpreted and demonstrated in various ways. To make it simpler, in doing the pronation (and hence the thumbs pointing towards the foot), would this result in the elbow pointing outwards or would be it almost pointing directly to the ground? I have been doing the former, although I don't see why the latter would be incorrect. Any comments?

Thanks Coach,

I don't see how it's possible to pronate the grip and maintain close adduction of the elbow.

Default Bench Press Grip / Elbow Correction

Since the bar is blocking you from pointing your thumb towards your head you would have to rotate your hand so that the bar would be closer to the fingers on the lateral sides of the hands. This would not be a good position for the wrists I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't see how it's possible to pronate the grip and maintain close adduction of the elbow.
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand the nomenclature being used here, could you perhaps express that in layman's terms on what you're suggesting?

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Since the bar is blocking you from pointing your thumb towards your head you would have to rotate your hand so that the bar would be closer to the fingers on the lateral sides of the hands. This would not be a good position for the wrists I would think.
    I apologise, but may I ask what is it that you're trying to convey that would be a good position for the wrists?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm sorry you don't understand. Most others do. Maybe I'll make a grip video for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast