starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check - Trying to fix hip pain

Default Squat Check - Trying to fix hip pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been experiencing some hip pain right at the crease between my torso and legs at the bottom of my squats. So I went back and read through the squat chapter in the book. I'm pretty sure a combination of not stopping my knee slide and not generating hip drive was probably causing this.

Also, I realized my squats have been no where near deep enough. So I've probably been lifting too heavy of a weight. I deloaded and worked back up to where it started to feel a little heavy.

I want to make sure I keep my form in check as I work my way back up. This is my final work set at 135lbx5. These felt like I was doing ass to grass, but still look like they may be a touch high. Any tips on why it feels like this? Also, it looks like I may not be keeping my lower back solid at the bottom.

Thanks for taking the time to look at these.

Squats - 135x5

These are all definitely deep enough. Some are too deep and could use a couple inches cut off.

You're squishy at the bottom, and don't get any bounce at all. After you take that big breath, brace your whole torso tight and go down under control but not slow; the whole way down, anticipate reversing direction and forcefully driving your hips back up as soon as you get JUST below parallel, and then do so.

On the squishiness, I will work harder to keep my abs tight to stop that from happening. Is that probably why I'm not feeling the stretch reflex at the bottom?

On the depth, I'm still trying to be able to gauge the proper depth. Would you say that reps 1 & 4 were the ones that were too deep. Rep 2 & 3 were about right, maybe a tad too deep. Rep 5 was just right? I'm looking at the pictures in the book, and it seems like the top of the thigh is parallel to the ground at the bottom of the squat. Is that the right landmark to use for gauging depth? Or is there a better landmark to use on that? Thanks!

Everything needs to be tight. Yes, brace your abs and back hard, but also think about not letting the bar shove you down; rather, you're remaining rigid and driving it down at a controlled speed. Not slow, just under your control, rather than being forced down by gravity.

If you're looking at the book and are asking that question, you need to re-read the book in more detail. The objective anatomical landmarks we use to gauge depth are referenced very clearly there. I could obviously tell you what they are, but if you don't remember and think that top of thigh vis a vis ground is the right thing to look at, then you need a full re-read anyway.

I appreciate you taking the time to review these. I think the issue is my identification of the proper landmarks. I have read the book, and it says the plane created by the hip joint and the top of the patella should be below parallel. Another way to say this is that the hip joint should be below the top of the patella. However, when I view these squats, I only see that depth for a couple of the reps. You are saying that they are all deep enough, including some being too deep. So, I'm just not sure why I'm seeing something different than you. This is why I was looking for another landmark that might be easier to identify and see the same as you are seeing it. Maybe it's just the angle of the video that makes it look different to me. I'm just trying to calibrate myself so that I can properly gauge this in my videos as I move forward. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Rep 1 - way too deep
    Reps 2 & 3 - good depth
    Rep 4 - a little too deep but better than rep 1
    Rep 5 - good depth

Now you want to combine good depth with tightness and a bounce.