starting strength gym

Thread: Speed Warm ups/Deadlift reps

Default Speed Warm ups/Deadlift reps

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys...2 questions.

1. Is it a good idea to do my warm up sets with maximum speed? (Theory being that the explosiveness will translate over to my work sets)

2. I'm on advanced novice and my pulls are feeling really heavy, how about switching the reps from 5 to 3 instead of a deload? ( since this is what I'll be doing when I switch to TM anyways according to Lascek)

Thanks for your time!

PS: DL is at 340lbs and I'm 5'11 with a BW of 187lbs.
    Last edited by revs114; 08-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revs114 View Post
    Hi guys...2 questions.

1. Is it a good idea to do my warm up sets with maximum speed? (Theory being that the explosiveness will translate over to my work sets)

2. I'm on advanced novice and my pulls are feeling really heavy, how about switching the reps from 5 to 3 instead of a deload? ( since this is what I'll be doing when I switch to TM anyways according to Lascek)

Thanks for your time!

PS: DL is at 340lbs and I'm 5'11 with a BW of 187lbs.
    Regarding #1, I did this and it seemed to really help me. Like Symmetry said in another thread, I had been going slow out of fear that going fast would result in some sort of uncontrollable movement and cause an injury. Since then, I've been pulling my warmups pretty explosively and my work sets seem to feel much easier. I think part of it comes down to just greasing that movement pattern so that it's as natural as running-- one isn't afraid to sprint out of fear that they may trip.

My last work set was also at 340 for 6 reps, 5'10, BW 170, so we're in a similar place.

1. Always lift as explosively as possible, even with warmups, as long as you are keeping proper form...very important.

2. I would try to micro-load (2-3 lbs. increment) before deloading, also more rest between warmup and workset...up to 7 mins...hey, it did the trick in Squats but never needed it in deadlifts yet.

1. Lifting fast is a good thing. This is something I changed recently, and it has helped a lot. I thought I was lifting fast in the past, but now that I have seen what "fast" really means... I try to do it that much quicker. Even your worksets should be pulled as fast as possible.

2. As for the reps, play around with them and see. You don't really want to be slow grinding the deadlift. If less reps help you do them faster vs 2 really slow reps, that might work better. This is something I found interesting. Some guys don't go much over 90% 1RM while deadlifting in practice. They might go heavier in partials, but again, they normally go for fast reps. They only go really heavy a few times, and some guys only go heavy in competition (see Andy Bolton).

I will add on that I agree with everyone above and that you should do your warmups (and worksets) explosively. You don't have to be ridiculous and out of control with it, but good speed is definitely a good thing.