starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very nice raw low bar squat at USAPL Raw Nationals

Default Very nice raw low bar squat at USAPL Raw Nationals

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The USAPL Raw Nationals were last weekend. You can see some very nice low bar squats by Mike Tuchscherer here:

They seem to be pretty much taken out Rip's book. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Nice lifts. Beast.

Christ, he's a big lad. If you came home and found him in bed with your girl you'd tuck him in and wish him a good night!

Text book lowbar

Damn. That is some good lifting. Fast too. I'm guessing none of that was as easy as he made it look.

mike t. explaining his deadlift

here's him a week out:

He updates his youtube page very regularly with his training vids, I've been subscribed to him for a while now.

He also has some unique ideas about training and seems to constantly be experimenting with lifters on the RTS site. It's crazy what you can accomplish by lifting in your garage.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post

mike t. explaining his deadlift
    Realizing we're talking about insanely strong people, this is one of those places where I'm consistently surprised Rip's deadlift analysis isn't given more serious thought. I get that cleans/snatches may operate under slightly different logic, but a deadlift seems pretty straightforward to me, analysis-wise.

I.e. Back locked in extension to the best of your ability, bar starts over midfoot (which is "high hips" according to many people's logic) and under the scapulae. If you actually watch people like Tuscherer pull from the side, they drop their hips before initiating the pull, which basically pushes the bar forward a bit and then, if the weight is sufficiently heavy, their hips kick up a bit before the bar breaks the floor. People somehow confuse this with "using their quads" more, but all that's really happening is that they're putting themselves in a slightly inefficient position, and then the weight forces them into a better pulling position as the bar breaks the floor.

You can pull with the hips arbitrarily low with submaximal weights, certainly, but I really don't see the point of doing this for a competitive powerlifter when heavy weights force you into the geometry described above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast