starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a belt but confused

Default I want to buy a belt but confused

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My lower back feels a little bad after an stupid pendlay row workout. doing it wrong. and also from not touching the bar to the shins in my deadlifts. I fixed the technique. but as Rip says to wear a belt after the first back injury, even the slightest one, I want to wear one.

After reading some articles about belts. i just got more confused. what type of belt to buy for general purpose? I see lots of different belts are made for specific moves.

I went to the local shop. only had one type so far. a thick leather belt that is narrow at the front but wide at the back. is it good enough?
    Whatever type of belt you recommend please post a picture if possible so I can search for it better tomorrow when I search the city shops.

The belt you describe is the only one to avoid. this is in the book. belt info has been done a zillion times in the forum, why not search?

To make things easy for you. Any belt that is the same all the way around will be ok. I prefer velcro belts for all lifts, easier to put on and get tight.

Yeah I've read the book. but misunderstood that section. thinking it is telling about a belt that is thinner at the back and thicker at the front.
    So what's the width of these "all the way around same" belts usually? here belts are not manufactured according to any real standard. I have to find a good one myself between all the nonstandard ones.

What I was referring to looks like this:
    weight_belt.jpg

So it is the NO NO kind?

Found a local dealer than imports METAL belts (surprise!!). will call them for prices for this:
    971281.jpg

Get your squat up to 135 kg for reps, then worry about a belt.

correcting my technique will suffice and the pain will go away? what about skipping one workout day to allow the back to heal better?

If your squat technique is bad, relying on a belt to correct it will not help matters. Your back will still be bothering you. Spar suggested some technique corrections for you in another thread. Try those. Get your squat technique sorted. Get stronger. Then think about a belt. I don't know what's wrong with your back, or if anything is actually wrong with your back. You might just be a little sore from starting to train. Then again, something may be wrong. Whatever the case, if squats are genuinely hurting you, then you need to fix your squat. A belt in such a case will only function as a temporary band aid that will eventually break.

Why would you wear a belt on rows? If you are going to wear them, wear them on squats or deadlift.

I prefer inzer (lever). Be careful when you buy a belt, don't buy one to small. I made the mistake of buying a medium, four months later it doesn't fit.

starting strength coach development program
    I think the OP can buy a belt and also correct his form. One thing should not interfere with the other, quite the contrary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast