starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar slips forward on the squat

Default Bar slips forward on the squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    While I was trying to do a squat rep, the bar slipped forward. Why would it slip forward(if it was gonna slip, shouldn't it slip forward)?

I think maybe I'm not resting enough between sets(I rest 3 and a half minutes between sets).

I had the same problem. I just started resting 3:45 between sets and it fixed it almost immediately.

Rip recommends 5 minutes, but I go a few seconds before that. Just because I'm hard.

Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 04-19-2012 at 12:54 AM.

You guys actually time your rest? I usually just get up off of sitting on the safety pins whenever I feel ready to go.

all of the above are probably contributing factors. i noticed on my lifts yesterday that my back angle was good the first 3 reps of the first set and then the first 2 reps of the following two sets. i traced it to the flexion in my upper back that was evident when i'd hit the pocket, i'd round more, causing the bar to move forward towards the toes thus making my mechanical efficiency suffer as i had to lift the bar back over the middle of the foot (via the back, more than would usually be used) to finish driving upwards.

so, check the bar position to begin with, keep that upper back rigid and tight before unracking the weight and then through the entirety of the set, and make sure to take longer rests if need be so that you're less prone to go 'limp' in the upper back midway through the latter sets

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    While I was trying to do a squat rep, the bar slipped forward. Why would it slip forward(if it was gonna slip, shouldn't it slip forward)?

I think maybe I'm not resting enough between sets(I rest 3 and a half minutes between sets).
    Sir,
    Your creativity is astounding. Please keep up the good work.

Why are you starting so many threads, man?
    Last edited by BarbellSissy; 09-14-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Mistake, made it more simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbellSissy View Post
    Why are you starting so many threads, man?
    Watch your mouth! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every time I log onto SS.com hoping to see a new thread by hamworld. They are amazing.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay guys I get it, I need to rest more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast