starting strength gym

Thread: Wide grip bench is easier? I don't get it...

Default Wide grip bench is easier? I don't get it...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    From the SS book and DVD, Coach Rippetoe explains that the wide grip bench is easier due to the geometry creating a shorter range of motion. I understand the theory of this, but for myself I find a wide grip bench considerably more difficult for a given amount of weight than a "normal" SS grip of about 24" (about shoulder width for me). I've also found the wide grip to be MUCH more uncomfortable with my shoulders, and have a feeling that a wide grip bench would lead to eventual shoulder injuries for myself.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that the other day I was at an unfamiliar gym and had to use a bar with different markings. That combined with me not really paying attention lead to me attempting some working sets (195 lb) with a wider than usual grip. The weight was MUCH more difficult to move, and after 1 or 2 reps I felt some weird shit going on with my shoulders and stopped immediately to reevaluate what was going on. That's when I pulled my head out of my ass and figured out I wasn't using my standard grip width. It just got me wondering about this issue, more out of curiosity than anything.

A wider grip does have a slightly reduced ROM, but changing your technique shifted the load of the weight around a little. You have been benching with a fairly narrow grip, so your muscles have adapted to that. Moving to a wider grip shifts some of the load off the triceps and onto other muscles instead. Since you haven't tried it in the past, you will most likely move less weight.

Some lifters never use the max legal grip, especially raw. Even after training with a wide grip, they still can't bench as much as they can with a closer one (see Konstantinovs). Others prefer the wide grip, it really depends on how you are built. As you mentioned too, some have shoulder problems from going really wide. I use a variety of grips, but stick to the narrower ones unless I am pressing off boards or in my bench shirt.

Stick with your SS grip right now, but after you finish it, you can start to experiment with closer or wider grips and see how you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    A wider grip does have a slightly reduced ROM, but changing your technique shifted the load of the weight around a little. You have been benching with a fairly narrow grip, so your muscles have adapted to that. Moving to a wider grip shifts some of the load off the triceps and onto other muscles instead. Since you haven't tried it in the past, you will most likely move less weight.

Some lifters never use the max legal grip, especially raw. Even after training with a wide grip, they still can't bench as much as they can with a closer one (see Konstantinovs). Others prefer the wide grip, it really depends on how you are built. As you mentioned too, some have shoulder problems from going really wide. I use a variety of grips, but stick to the narrower ones unless I am pressing off boards or in my bench shirt.

Stick with your SS grip right now, but after you finish it, you can start to experiment with closer or wider grips and see how you like them.
    Thanks Callador, that makes sense!

I read that section in the book about grip width and initially found it confusing. It says the "normal" range for most people is about 22-28". The book also mentions that the ring-markings on a standard bar are 32" apart, denoting the maximum legal grip width for competition. The reason I found these two pieces of information confusing is that my normal grip with is with the webbing between my thumb and forefinger right on the ring marking of the bars at my gym. I started to wonder if my grip was too extreme and borderline cheating, even though it was just what felt natural to me. But then I took a tape measure to the gym and found out the rings are spaced only 27" apart on the bars at my gym. So I guess I'm still within the "normal" range.

Really as long as your forearms are reasonably vertical at the bottom of the rep it's probably best to just stick with what's comfortable. But I do see a lot of people using overly narrow grips with forearms angled inwards at the bottom of the rep (but not so much that I think they're doing a true close-grip bench as assistance exercise). This always seemed odd to me; you should be able to lift more weight if you get the chest more involved. And if you're not interested in working the chest why do bench press?

The rings are 81cm apart on a powerlifting bar (~32"), 91cm (~36") on a weightlifting bar (Olympic).