starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym has limited equipment, will I be able to do the program?

Default Gym has limited equipment, will I be able to do the program?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I recently discovered the Starting Strength program and have been reading the Practical Programming for Strength book. I've been impressed by the scientific methodology and lack of BS compared to other fitness problems. I'm a complete weightlifting beginner and have been thinking about starting the Starting Strength Model.

The problem is that I'm afraid my gym may be lacking the equipment to effectively execute the program. There is a barbell and bench press, but no "squat rack". Instead there is a squat machine (I believe it's called a smith rack?) that guides a barbell up and down a track at a fixed angle. Also, for deadlifts and presses there are only metal weights and I'm not sure how padded the floor is if I drop the barbell on the ground. In theory there is a personal trainer, but he seems to spend most of his time flirting with the girls although in fairness, I've never actually asked him for help.

So, given the restrictions above does it make sense to attempt the program? I know there's a lot of hate out there for the "smith racks", but does it matter for a beginner? Is there an alternative squat I can do instead? Should I be worried about the dropping barbells? If the lack of equipment is too much, are there any recommendations for programs similar to Starting Strength I can try with limited equipment? Unfortantely, switching gyms is not a viable option and I'm supsicious that the other two gyms in town don't have any better equipment anyway...

Don't drop your presses. No, the smith machine is not a valid substitute. It sounds like you can bench and you can press. Well, do what you can.

Quote Originally Posted by gerdemb View Post
    I recently discovered the Starting Strength program and have been reading the Practical Programming for Strength book. I've been impressed by the scientific methodology and lack of BS compared to other fitness problems. I'm a complete weightlifting beginner and have been thinking about starting the Starting Strength Model.

The problem is that I'm afraid my gym may be lacking the equipment to effectively execute the program. There is a barbell and bench press, but no "squat rack". Instead there is a squat machine (I believe it's called a smith rack?) that guides a barbell up and down a track at a fixed angle. Also, for deadlifts and presses there are only metal weights and I'm not sure how padded the floor is if I drop the barbell on the ground. In theory there is a personal trainer, but he seems to spend most of his time flirting with the girls although in fairness, I've never actually asked him for help.

So, given the restrictions above does it make sense to attempt the program? I know there's a lot of hate out there for the "smith racks", but does it matter for a beginner? Is there an alternative squat I can do instead? Should I be worried about the dropping barbells? If the lack of equipment is too much, are there any recommendations for programs similar to Starting Strength I can try with limited equipment? Unfortantely, switching gyms is not a viable option and I'm supsicious that the other two gyms in town don't have any better equipment anyway...
    Well, chances are one of the other two gyms in town will at least have some sort of squat rack. I have to use out of town gyms more than half the time I work out, and I can almost always find a place with at least a squat rack.

You will probably get some great input on your questions from people with a lot more experience than myself, but a smith machine/squat machine is a very poor substitute for barbell squats, and really aren't even the same exercise. You will see far less development of your core strength, and will be significantly more prone to injury. The "squat" machine is the biggest POS in any gym, and I hate them with a passion whenever I see them.

As far as the iron plates, that's just the reality of 90% of gyms out here. I'm currently power cleaning 195 lb working sets without bumper plates, and have no issues with it. I don't need to "drop" the weights, though if I had to in an attempt to avoid injury I would. But if you start off light and work your way up, you'll be just fine with only using iron weights in your gym. In fact, Coach Rippetoe did a nice little video on this very subject:
    http://bit.ly/r7wTuY

Hopefully that answers some of your questions...

I think if I were in your situation, I would either try:

1) Substitute snatch-grip deadlifts for squats (these apparently have more quad involvement -- though I should warn you I haven't tried these myself).
    2) Power clean the weight and do front squats. You may have to go with higher-rep sets (say, 3x8), since the amount you'd be able to do is limited by how much you can power clean.

All of the other exercises shouldn't be an issue. I've been doing presses, deadlifts and power cleans with iron plates. The plates clang a little when you put the deadlifts and cleans down, but as long as you're not dropping them it should be fine for the bar and the floor.

If a "gym" has no power rack / squat rack / squat stands etc., it doesn't qualify as a gym. Nobody who is serious about getting stronger will be training there, there will be no-one there giving any useful advice, and trying to train there will be a waste of your money and time. Also, a proper squat cannot be performed with a smith machine, and trying to do it is risking injury. Finally, there is no alternative to squats, deads, presses, pullups etc. if you want to get fit and strong. If you ask enough people, you will hear many "alternatives" suggested, but these people do not know what they are talking about.

For about the price of a year's gym membership (maybe a little more if you're buying the equipment new), you can get yourself a good, basic weightlifting setup for use at home. You will need the following things:

1) Power rack or squat stands. Advantages of the squat stands are that they are smaller and more mobile, and generally cheaper to buy, than a power rack. Power racks are in general safer to use (they have spotter bars that the weight can be dropped onto if needs be) and they're also more versatile (usually have a pullup bar attached, dip bars are easily attached as well). I think most people would agree that a beginner training at home is much better off using a power rack, given the safety margin it provides.

2) A basic flat bench.

3) An Olympic barbell ie. barbell with rotating sleeves on its ends.

4) Olympic weight plates to fit your bar. Given that you've never lifted weights, approximately 300lbs / 140kgs will be plenty to begin with. You can get more later as necessary.

After you've been lifting for a while, there'll be a few other things you'll want / need (lifting chalk, belt, olympic shoes, various wraps / straps etc.) but the above equipment is all you need to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by gerdemb View Post
    ... does it make sense to attempt the program?
    No.

Since you live in a geographical oddity with no real gyms, I would:

1) Ask one of the gyms to buy the equipment that a real gym should have
    2) Move to a place with real gyms
    3) Buy a squat rack, bench, and weights

I would ignore any advice that entails not squatting 3x a week. Back squats are the heart of this program and any effective novice program.
    Last edited by scotts; 09-29-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added bench to equipment list

The finding a new gym or buying your own equipment are the preferred suggestions.

But you can always try to Squat from the bench press. Not optimal and you have to be careful, eventually you will not be able to safely do this.
    Last edited by Cambero; 09-29-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

To clarify my gym situation, we are living in Mozambique, Africa where the only gyms are in luxury hotels. They are all pretty small and focus more on being spas than places to train. We're living here in an apartment on a temporary two year assignment so building a home gym isn't an option either. Anyway, it sounds like the lack of a squat rack is the only real problem with my current gym. I'm going to try talking to the personal trainer to see if he can find a solution. Basically all I need is a place to unload the barbell from my back while standing right?

In the meantime, I'm going to try to see if I can dumbell squats instead as my squat is only 175 lbs. If that doesn't work, are front squats are reasonable alternative? I can do those without a squat rack right?

Without a rack, you can't squat more than you can clean, and we can squat A LOT more than we clean (not to mention the squat progresses much faster than the clean). Dumbbell squats also cannot be loaded effectively or heavy. The program is barbell squatting, heavy, 3 x week, adding 5 lbs each workout. You can't substitute for heavy back squats, you can't do heavy back squats without a rack, and you can't get access to a rack - so you can't do the program.

Reread the novice section of Practical Programming or get Starting Strength. It is pretty clear exactly why the program is organized the way it is, why the exercises are what they are, and why the BACK squat is so important. You can't do SS without a squat rack any more than you can play golf without clubs. Look at it this way: you'll can be squatting > 300 in a few months on SS. Try to imagine doing this without a rack.

starting strength coach development program
    I was in a similar situation: My gym had crap (no rack or bench). So I did power cleans, weighted dips, deadlifts, press, and a Hammer Strength Leg Press until I was able to purchase everything I needed to train at home. I now train Sanford & Son style in my carport. This was the best decision for me.

Until you are following the program as prescribed in the book, you are NOT following the program. If you want to follow SS, you need to low bar squat. I can tell you that after switching from my 415 lb fancy leg press I could not squat half that weight. That being said, I recommend you work with what you have available until you can follow the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast