starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Achieve Wolverine Physique

Default Achieve Wolverine Physique

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I do a bit of acting and I've been cast in a stage play of X Men which will be performed in 6 months time. I'm 5'10, 200lbs @ 20% BF and wondered what programming/diet strategy I should be implementing to get a physique like that of "wolverine" out of X men. I exhausted LP and now am doing more of an intermediate auto regulated program.

Continue with intermediate programming, add in some conditioning work and be very strict about quality food.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Continue with intermediate programming, add in some conditioning work and be very strict about quality food.
    This can't be said enough so I quoted BareSteel. Good quality food, and poking around in Jordan's Nutrition forum would be a good start.
    Also check out this article: To Be A Beast

Plastic costume?

Serious answer is to add pull ups. Lots and lots of pull ups

1) Learn to Deadlift incorrectly by using spotters to assist in max attempts
    2) Squat in front of windows, using Oly technique plates to "oversize" your load and give the illusion of using heavier weight.
    3) Profit.

Oh shit, please tell me this is a musical adaptation?

"I'm wolverine,
    I heal really quick,
    I never get sick.
    I'm wolverine!"

"Magneto! I shall never be defeato!"

Wolverine should look less like Jackman and more like.......I can't think of a short and bulky actor but whoever fits that bill.

steroids, lots and lots of steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    Wolverine should look less like Jackman and more like.......I can't think of a short and bulky actor but whoever fits that bill.
    The comic book wolverine has typical comic book muscled superhero proportions. I doubt anyone could get to a similar look in real life even with drugs. Van damme in his day?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    The comic book wolverine has typical comic book muscled superhero proportions. I doubt anyone could get to a similar look in real life even with drugs.
    Kind of irrelevant to OP's goals, but note that sprinter David Oliver is famous in the track and field community for what folks have dubbed his "comic book shoulders"

But this is part genetics and part 20 years of training to get to the pinnacle he's at. Actually, he's such a freak that not even his fellow elite athletes have anything close to this, so whatever he does is probably of limited application to OP's case. I just thought it'd be fun pointing him out. More relevant though are those blasphemous Men's Fitness articles that interview celebrity trainers about how they prepped a certain skinny actor for a role. The asshole at C&P actually summarized one specific to Hugh Jackman HERE.

In a slightly bi-curious moment (okay, hour...okay weekend), I looked through all of C&P's summaries of how various actors got big for a role, and the general rule of thumb = low bodyfatbig shoulders and traps, no one cares about legs. Makes sense; in a previous life, I was an aspiring comic book artist and we were specifically taught that the human eye correlates traps with brute force, and doesn't really see legs. Actually, it looks like out of all these guys, Hugh is the only one who bothers with biggish squats and deads, and that seems to be because he enjoys it, not because of any aesthetic goal for his roles.

So I guess you're going to have to OHP and and deadlift a lot. I looked at your log and you're more or less on track; looks like your DL volume is already higher than most people's, but the weight is relatively low given your size/age, so you might be able to pick up some rapid gains right there by adding weight. You can probably up your presses to 5x5 too. Have fun adding more trap-specific BB exercises too; I've found them to not be particularly taxing because of the very limited ROM, so go crazy. Actually, while you're at it, feel free to peruse that C&P site in general. The writer looooooves traps and shoulders, to the point where he has built a pretty unbalanced physique and looks like a ninja turtle.

Jamie Lewis, the C&P guy

Just don't get carried away like he did.

PS Aren't you the "Tired of people saying I'm getting too big!" guy? This is all going to make your situation worse. :P
    PPS Wolverine is supposed to be like 5'3" 200lbs pre-adamantium. Hugh Jackman's portrayal took some serious Hollywood liberties with the character's appearance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast