starting strength gym

Thread: Too much knee kick? - Press

Default Too much knee kick? - Press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey coaches,

After working back up on press, I took some videos and noticed more knee movement than before I deloaded. I'm trying not to lock my knees too hard, since that was causing seriously bad cramping at PR weights (had to rerack more than 1 pr set of 5 on the 2nd or 3rd rep). Bad enough that I had to be careful walking around inbetween sets, since if I let my knees extend too far I'd get a big jolt of pain up my leg. I don't think it's hydration or salt, since I was keeping super hydrated and eating some bananas and salty food on the day and day before pressing. I've also only ever had cramp twice in my life that wasn't press 2.0 related.

http://youtu.be/Zi-eX4OVJms - sets 2 and 3, since I felt like set 3 was worse even though I was trying to focus on hips and not knees.

Thanks in advance.

Ya, there's a bit of knee kick there. It's not awful, but it wouldn't pass muster at a Strengthlifting meet, for example. What may be more problematic is that you hardly get your hips involved at all. Normally a bit of cramping or near-cramping on presses is fine, and a sign you're using your quads correctly to keep your knees locked. But what you describe sounds like something best avoided. It's going to be hard to get your hips much forward without your knees bending if you can't squeeze your knees locked. At lighter weights you'll probably retain control, but at max and near-max weights, I don't see any way around that.

That said, clamp down on your abs harder and try to reach your hips more forward before bouncing back.

http://youtu.be/QU-yHg4Mo_c

I think I did a little better this time. I focused on squeezing my quads without locking them too hard, and tried to get a bit more hip action. The problem I find is that if I get my hips really far forward, I can't get them back fast enough and end up with a bunch of layback, so I use a short fast stab with the hips. Maybe this is caused by pressing too soon?

Quick side question: I got 5, 4, 4 today on my press unfortunately. I'm doing HLM whilst losing some weight. What would be a good way forward? Try it again next time? Switch to 3x4? 3x3? 4x3? Just thought I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks again for your time.

Jumping in since my buddy Wolf is fighting internet issues.

Still a knee kick. Move your feet a little closer and get tighter thoughout.

If you miss it again, reset 10%. The drop in weight will help dial in your form at the same time.