starting strength gym

Thread: negligent trainer

Default negligent trainer

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    hey coach !

Few days ago my young brother enter the gym in his first time.
    My brother is almost 16 years old and very (very very) thin. In addition he is weak (for example: he cannot do more than 6-5 push ups and even 1/4 rep of chin up) and sloppy,he dont have any exprience with sport and in short not the ideal trainer.

The problem is that at mt gym the "coaches" dont know anything about weightlifting (squat, deads ..). this is a typical "machine gym". and of course that the first thing they tell a new trainer to do is the fucking machines.
    I fell into that trap when i entered the gym and my brother wont make this mistake too !
    i am more intelegent than my brother and i learn everything that i know about lifting the weights from your book and this forum.
    I dont have a lot of exprience with teaching how to lift but im sure that i should teach my brother the basic lifts and your program. but he is very un coachable..
    and i am afraid he would injure himself. (although i can teach him the presses, but im not sure about the squat and the deads, not to mantion the PC).

what should i do coach ?
    thx and sorry for my english

You should learn this the way I did. You should help him as best you can, and you will both get better at it over time.

I tried yasterday all day long to teach him the squat starting with body weight and up to broomstick..
    He just cant get it ! he cant sit back although i try to teach him all the tricks that are written in your book.
    his knees are shot forward every single rep..
    Im desperate

You can either send him to me, or figure it out yourself. It will be cheaper the second way.