starting strength gym

Thread: Spare tire

Default Spare tire

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

I've been on the program for about 7 weeks now, albeit with some inconsistency, i.e. a couple of missed workouts, subbed with boxing.

I have no doubt I have gained strength and muscle (I think), but I have definitely added some unwanted fat. The small 'dummy' spare tire around my waist has grown to a full out spare tire. Now I was not super lean to begin with. Still, I am having doubts about following through with this program. A real man follows through. I don't want to quit and I'm not a wuss with my workouts. I just need some reassurance that I won't become a stronger version of the michelin man. I have put in many hard gut check, semi hernia efforts under the bar and have increased all my lifts. I just don't want to get fatter. Any advice? I realize you may cringe with a question of this type, but I feel it is a valid concern of many of your program's trainees both far and wide( no pun intended).

I love your books. I reread them all the time. I love your coaching style and your no BS approach to fitness and strength. And your humor is brilliant. I want to continue with the program. I just don't want to have the waistline on my pants let out.

Please reassure me that if I stick to my guns and continue your elegantly designed program that I will eventually displace the spare tire.

Your humble student,
    Corey

So you've finally found an exercise program that actually produces calories, as opposed to burning them? I'm really afraid that I don't understand how my training program has made you chubby.

Perhaps you've been following a diet that is inappropriate for your individual situation.

Okay, I deserve that. Wouldn't be a very marketable program would it?

Point taken, Coach. I probably have been drinking too much milk for my own good. About 1 gallon a day. Sounds like blasphemy to most. I will heed your words and modify my caloric intake accordingly. Sorry if I wasted your time.

To other members:

What are your interim results and/or final results with the Novice program or other programs detailed in PP?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    What are your interim results and/or final results with the Novice program or other programs detailed in PP?
    I can't speak to PP, but in regards to my first 12 weeks of SS I gained weight (muscle, I hope) AND I lost an inch or so off my waist. The joys of being a beginner!

That said, I'm carrying an extra 30-40 pounds of unwanted fat and I'm almost 39 years old; so I decided early on that drinking milk was a bad plan as that would just make me fatter.

The milk issue comes up a lot when people discuss SS here and on other forums; much to the detriment of this program I fear. I hope I'm not talking out of turn, but unless you're young and underweight you shouldn't even consider consuming it. Milk is meant to fatten calves into cows. Everyone drinking it should remember that outcome with every delicious glass they drink.

It is amazing that people conflate the two concepts. SS is for getting strong, and the milk deal is to help you get strong IF you need to gain weight to do it. IF.