starting strength gym

Thread: "Too little weight on clean?" (w/ other lifts)

Default "Too little weight on clean?" (w/ other lifts)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Guys,

This is a continuation, if you will, of my other thread, but I'm including a squat and press check. The angle for the press is pretty awful - I had another video but I ended up moving too far out of the picture for it to be worthwhile. The angles aren't great, but any input would be great (and I know there's plenty wrong). But I'm most interested in the clean because I fear I may be reverse curling it somewhat.

Squat:

Press: (I rotated it but it may take a little while to take effect)

Clean:

Not that I'm a good power cleaner, but it looks like you're arm pulling it and not keeping it close to your body.

How to fix it? I don't know... I'll let someone better at PCs tell you that

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Not that I'm a good power cleaner, but it looks like you're arm pulling it and not keeping it close to your body.

How to fix it? I don't know... I'll let someone better at PCs tell you that
    Yeah, I would agree. I kind of had the same impression that maybe I was pulling it with my arms. I can say my legs were completely gassed at the end of them and I know they were doing something, but maybe not enough.

You are going to have to start from scratch on your power cleans. It's pretty much all arms. Do you have the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    You are going to have to start from scratch on your power cleans. It's pretty much all arms. Do you have the book?
    This.

I agree with the start from scratch. You need to focus on hip extension. You're not even close to extending them.

Yep, have the book. Figured as much. I also saw a video that Rip had up when he was teaching the clean that I think will be useful. I'd rather get it right now then do it wrong for the next several months. Once I've had more time to practice it I'll get another vid up of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_vPlahn View Post
    Yep, have the book. Figured as much. I also saw a video that Rip had up when he was teaching the clean that I think will be useful. I'd rather get it right now then do it wrong for the next several months. Once I've had more time to practice it I'll get another vid up of it.
    This is key. Don't keep practicing bad technique.