starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    80kg

I feel like my back angle is too horizontal, the first too reps are higher then the others but i think I went below parallel

I think your back angle looks fine, you have a short upper body relative to the length of your legs, so you will be more horizontal than some in the bottom. I am built more like Cotton in "King of the Hill" only I have knees, so it is the opposite for me. It is hard to tell from this angle, but you might benefit from a slightly wider stance; maybe 1" or so wider. Some of the other guys on here can correct me if I am wrong. Make sure you are pushing your knees out.
    Last edited by swiminator; 06-07-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Squats look good, back angle is fine and you dont even have the slightest hint of GM'ing which is great.

Stick with your stance if you are comfortable with it, you get better drive with narrower stances. But if you widened it would let you have a more vertical back angle if that is what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Stick with your stance if you are comfortable with it, you get better drive with narrower stances. But if you widened it would let you have a more vertical back angle if that is what you wanted.
    Thanks Dastardly.

What are these? I went a little deeper than last time

Previous squats were better.

Sure you are going deeper now, but you are slamming into the bottom and not using your muscle tension to drive back up. The squats in the first video had adequate depth, better to add more weight to the bar than force unecessary depth.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Previous squats were better.

Sure you are going deeper now, but you are slamming into the bottom and not using your muscle tension to drive back up. The squats in the first video had adequate depth, better to add more weight to the bar than force unecessary depth.
    OK, got it.
    Next time with 90 kilos I'll go down just a little below parallel
    BTW the 85kg is a PR