starting strength gym

Thread: First squat form check

Default First squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I dont have anyone that is knows anything about excercise so any help would be great.
    This video is with 188lbs. Im wondering if i need to widen my stance a little so i can get deeper or if im doing anything correctly that i read from SS3rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtks...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for any comments i get

I am new to SS: started 3 weeks ago so my technical knowledge is limited.
    I don't know if your stance is too narrow. I feel more comfortable with a little wider stance.
    The width of your power rack might prevent you from going wider. Building a platform would fix that issue, if it is an issue.
    The bar looks like it is higher on your back than you would want it to be for a low bar squat.
    Your elbows are very low.
    4 out of 5 squats broke parallel. Only one was high.
    Those are little things.
    I think your technique is very good for someone new to SS.
    If you are like me you want to refine your technique to get it as good as you can.
    Sometimes the right thing to do is just realize that your squat is very good for the amount of experience that you have.
    Just keep lifting and your technique will get better just from experience.
    Hope that helps.

before making any

Bar looks a little high on your back

Quote Originally Posted by Motorschweitz View Post
    Bar looks a little high on your back
    Thanks for the reviews guys. Yeah I'm having a bit of a range of motion issue right now trying to get the mobility in my shoulders to hold the bar low enough. Thought it may be a little high still. Appreciate the looks

Can't get a good view of the stance, but doesn't look bad.

- One thing to note is that you're just shoving the knees out when you get at the very bottom and then letting them come in. Shove them out more aggressively as you go down and keep them there on the way up.

- Also, when it comes to the forward motion of the knee, you want to establish the location in the top third of the motion and then keep them there. Your knees are moving forward all the way down (until they move out at the very bottom).

- weight looks pretty light, as you mention, but things might get worse as they get heavier.

(i am not a coach. )

Just a little thing, but you should walk the bar into the rack touch both posts and then lower it onto the hooks like you're squatting. You did a twisty feeling for the hook rack that isn't going to work well with heavy weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Can't get a good view of the stance, but doesn't look bad.

- One thing to note is that you're just shoving the knees out when you get at the very bottom and then letting them come in. Shove them out more aggressively as you go down and keep them there on the way up.

- Also, when it comes to the forward motion of the knee, you want to establish the location in the top third of the motion and then keep them there. Your knees are moving forward all the way down (until they move out at the very bottom).

- weight looks pretty light, as you mention, but things might get worse as they get heavier.

(i am not a coach. )
    Well I concentrated on shoving my knees out like you said and it made a big difference in the feel of the squat, and it made getting down past parallel much more natural and easy. Great tips. the Weight is light for what i USE to be able to do 10 years ago, but right now 204 is actually my workset as i move back up little by little. Next workout I will film myself again and make sure ive fixed the forward motion in my knees. This time i wanted to just concentrate on pushing them out, although it seems like when i pushed them out like you said it established the forward motion for me so it may have worked itself out.

Michael24
    Just a little thing, but you should walk the bar into the rack touch both posts and then lower it onto the hooks like you're squatting. You did a twisty feeling for the hook rack that isn't going to work well with heavy weight.
    Thanks! Ill make sure I do this from now on for safety reasons. Since I usually life when nobody is home Its better to be safe then sorry, and i dont wanna get into a bad habit especially as i get into higher weights