starting strength gym

Thread: what do you recommend?

Default what do you recommend?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dear coaches,

thanks for the advice/ help in the past.

I lifted 147.5 kgs at a BW of 92kgs on thursday.while it didnt kill me, I am feeling the effects of the heavy set.

I want to have a tilt at 150 kgs- but know I need a lot more rest than 24-48 hours, based on how I feel right now.

I was thinking about a possible 7 day break before the 150 attempt. In the meanwhile, do you recommend I take a break from squatting, and do the other lifts, or do I go to the gym and lift at something like 50% of my work sets?

If both the above options are incorrect, I would appreciate some guidance on this one.

many thanks. Have a great day.

Really depends on many factors, most of which we don't know about you. I'm assuming you're a Novice doing the Novice Program due to your mention of a 24-48 hour recovery window. In general, as a Novice, if you make the reps, you go ahead and try the weight addition the next time. When you can't recover from that anymore, you go to the Advanced Novice program of adding 5lbs twice per week, instead of three times.

I wouldn't suggest taking a week. If you can't recover to squat heavier three days a week anymore, move to two.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Really depends on many factors, most of which we don't know about you. I'm assuming you're a Novice doing the Novice Program due to your mention of a 24-48 hour recovery window. In general, as a Novice, if you make the reps, you go ahead and try the weight addition the next time. When you can't recover from that anymore, you go to the Advanced Novice program of adding 5lbs twice per week, instead of three times.

I wouldn't suggest taking a week. If you can't recover to squat heavier three days a week anymore, move to two.
    Thank you, sir. I am happy to say, went ahead with the 150 on saturday. Did it with relative ease, as such.

One concern was that I took 20 minutes between sets. Do you recommend forcing the pace?

many thanks for the reply-i appreciate you taking the time to respond.

have a good day.

20 minutes is a long rest period, to be sure. But if you didn't cool down too much, and it allowed you recovery enough to make the lifts, then it's ok.

But if it wasn't just a one time thing and you consistently need 20 minutes between sets to recover, and are still adding 5 lbs (or 2.5 kgs) squatting 3x5 three days every week, it's probably time to move to twice per week. So if you're squatting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday now you will add the weight Monday and Friday, and do a lighter squat workout Wednesday. Work up to 2 sets of 5 at about 80% of what you did on Monday.

20 minutes is a long rest period, to be sure. But if you didn't cool down too much, and it allowed you recovery enough to make the lifts, then it's ok.

But if it wasn't just a one time thing and you consistently need 20 minutes between sets to recover, and are still adding 5 lbs (or 2.5 kgs) squatting 3x5 three days every week, it's probably time to move to twice per week. So if you're squatting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday now you will add the weight Monday and Friday, and do a lighter squat workout Wednesday. Work up to 2 sets of 5 at about 80% of what you did on Monday.
    Many thanks, good sir. I owe you a beer for the good turn.

have a good day. As always, my best regards with you and yours.

I prefer belgian ales. A Duvel would be just fine.

I prefer belgian ales. A Duvel would be just fine.
    I prefer pale ales. The dark ones are a mood drink for me.

Guiness is an example. Only when I feel completely burned out.

Australia isn't the greatest place for beer. But man, I had the best ever dark ale on tap from a barrel in sydney CBD. I would go looking for the same bar in a heartbeat.

Where are you from, liking belgian beer?
    I don't like duvel that much, it's pretty heavy on the stomach.

I'm belgian by the way.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    I prefer pale ales. The dark ones are a mood drink for me.
    IPAs are a little too bitter for my taste. I like them for about 6oz, and then the bitterness takes over too much. I haven't really tried the other pale ale varieties much.

Quote Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
    Where are you from, liking belgian beer?
    I don't like duvel that much, it's pretty heavy on the stomach.

I'm belgian by the way.
    From Chicago, but been in NY for over 11 years. Duvel isn't like Bud Light; you're not gonna drink 3 buckets of it with your buddies while watching the game on Sunday. But it's a good example of the Belgian style ales that I like.