starting strength gym

Thread: Texas method question - programming under lack of rest?

Default Texas method question - programming under lack of rest?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    What would be your general advice when training texas methods and then getting hit with a week with less than regular sleep? (e.g. instead of 8 hours sleep, getting between 4-6 hours from Tuesday to Thursday, and can certainly feel lack of strength when lifting, and attempting lifts results in missed reps).

So far I've been adding extra days to compensate and let my body recover, but I thought you'd have a better approach.

For example:
    Monday: Volume Day goes well.
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Recovery Day
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Intensity

Sometimes I have to squeeze two rest days between VD and RD. But then the workout week gets very 'long.'

I had some other ideas such as:
    (a) skip Recovery Day and go straight to Intensity Day either on Thursday or Friday?
    (b) keep on Mon Wed Fri schedule but don't sweat it if fail on maximal attempts. Just go for single reps?

Thanks in advance!

The first thing to try is more food. Calories can substitute for rest in the short term. If it happens only very occasionally, you can ram through it. If it happens more frequently, you have a scheduling problem.

Cool

Ok. More calories it is.

Would you have further suggestions on what types of calories to pile on top of existing diet?

Proportionately more whey protein and milk?

Or "more of the same"? I'm eating a typical balanced diet including carbs and fat, etc...

NOTE:
    I eat a fairly balanced diet (fruit/veg/meats/etc...), about 1L milk/day, 1g/protein to body weight in lbs from various sources, regular portions of carbs and fat, and junk food is pretty light (some fries and dark chocolate maybe twice a week in small servings)- and the occasional BEvERage now and then. So I'd like to 'believe' it's a reasonably healthy diet

I've been eating less grains and rice as of late, and eating more meat and veggies instead.

All specific food questions go to Jordan's nutrition forum. I'm just the weightlifter.

I thought more about my original post of RE: adding the extra days of recovery

Wouldn't doing this be analogous to the geezer routine of padding more rest days during linear progression?

If so, is there a reason it wouldn't lead to progressive strength increases (albeit slower).

Thanks again Rip