starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 64 year old dating?!

Default 64 year old dating?!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My dad just turned 64 and is all of a sudden talking about dating again! It drives me and my kids crazy when we visit - he has been living along for more than 2 years now. I wonder, do men his age really still date? I thought this is only possible in movies?!

A man living close to my parents has two children at the age of 3-5. He's 69.

His wife is less than 45 I think. I assume they dated at least briefly before he got her pregnant. Seems like the nice way to go about it. If not, I should probably ask him for pointers...

My mother passed when my father was about that age. He "dated" several women when he got over his mourning as my outraged sisters informed me from 2000 miles away. A few years later, he remarried one of the women he went with when they decided they had found the right one again.

Being 64 myself, I can tell you that guys that age may be shooting blanks but they still want to cock back the hammer to keep the action working. Less crudely put, they want some companionship from someone their own age who they can relate to through shared experiences and history. It doesn't mean they love their family or children less. It took my sisters several years to realize that.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 12-22-2014 at 01:01 PM.

John Tyler, 10th President of these United States (1841–1845), was born during the Washington administration. As of very recently two of his grandsons were very much alive. Geezers Rule.

(I couldn't quickly confirm if they were still with us but they were born in 1924 and 1928 so it's quite possible.)

I am 65 and would love to start dating again, but my wife probably would not approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I am 65 and would love to start dating again, but my wife probably would not approve.
    THAT'S...funny!!!

twistbiceps, "Elderly" doesn't mean dead.

Hey, it was hard to deal with the fact that parents ever "did it" when you were a kid. Let alone realizing that they might still "do it" or want to when you reach adulthood. Also, great quip Dave. Dearly Beloved's marksmanship is still to good to chance any dating.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    A man living close to my parents has two children at the age of 3-5. He's 69.

His wife is less than 45 I think. I assume they dated at least briefly before he got her pregnant. Seems like the nice way to go about it. If not, I should probably ask him for pointers...
    My youngest was born when my wife and I were 42, a happy surprise. He's part of the reason I lift -- when he graduates high school I'll be 60 and I hope to still be a real father figure, rather than a rickety old guy.

I can relate to that. I was 39 when Our Daughter was born and was in my late 50's at her HS graduation. Now I coach and spot her own lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I'm 64, single (divorced) for a few years, and definitely 'dating'. I've had a lot of fun and met quite a few really nice women, and had a few 'short term relationships' (few months to up to a year). Most between 8 and up to 15 years younger. However, I have no interest whatsoever in having more children. If your dad hasn't had a vasectomy and plans on dating younger women (young enough they haven't gone through menopause), tell him to get one. It shocked me at first, but there are at least some women in their late 40's to mid 50's who still believe in the '3 date rule'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast