starting strength gym

Thread: Evaluate my program

Default Evaluate my program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hey all, this is a program I have been doing now that I loosely designed based on SS. I have done SS twice to great success, as its written in the book.

I wanted to try something different this time and focus only on a few key movements I want to get better at.

Done every other day, 3-4x per week. Doing this for 50 workouts, and I am at workout 25.
    • Squats - 5x5 - 5x10lb. increase with each workout
    • Press - 5x5 - 5x10lb. increase with each workout
    • Pullups - 5x5(goal is to keep increasing for the duration of 50 workouts, started at 5x2, now at 5x5, expect to get to 5x8, goal is 1x20)

When the stalls start to happen regularly, I will reduce it to 3x5, and use fractional's for smaller incremental increase. Only concern is that the pullups and presses back to back may be hard on the elbows.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Honest question here - are you joking around?

Stretch it out to 51 workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Honest question here - are you joking around?
    Aww, its Rip Jr!

No joke here, let me guess, you think I havent read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
    Aww, its Rip Jr!

No joke here, let me guess, you think I havent read the book.
    No need to be a jerk about it. If you've already ran SS twice, which unless you had a long layoff/injury/similar doesn't make any sense, then this program will not work for you for any length of time, if at all. On the other hand, if you were to modulate your intensity and volume appropriately in order to provide the correct amount of stress followed by recovery, the template doesn't look awful, but then again it doesn't look very good either.

You should be doing some sort of bench press/weighted dip, a heavy pull (a deadlift perhaps), and a fast pull (power clean or snatch).

Now you didn't give us any stats, but if you're 25 years old and you can't do 20 chins in a single set you either weigh a lot, aren't very strong, or are a female (no offense to anyone in those categories).

20 chest to bar or your weak? The elite number of pull-ups chin over bar is 22 for a young adult mail in the fit book. Not saying your wrong but how many pull-ups chest to bar would you consider strong?

starting strength coach development program
    Who said chest to bar? Chin over the bar dead hang is reasonable for someone under roughly 220lbs who is strong, male, and young.