starting strength gym

Thread: Stress Reaction (prefracture) in Hip

Default Stress Reaction (prefracture) in Hip

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

Friend runs XC and lifts heavy weights regularly has a stress reaction, so the pre-fracture injury in her hip joint. She won't be able to run cross country this season, and the doctor (who was apparently not very helpful) said to rest for 6 weeks. Essentially no physical activity. This injury has existed for 3 months, and pain has increased as she continued to lift and maintain her running regimen.

Would this be an injury that you would rest or work through? What would you recommend?

if squatting isn't possible, press and other exercises could at least continue

thanks from the both of us

Never heard of a "pre-fracture". It will probably need to be trained through since most do, but I have no experience with this injury. Just out of curiosity, does she drink milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Never heard of a "pre-fracture". It will probably need to be trained through since most do, but I have no experience with this injury. Just out of curiosity, does she drink milk?
    Well it is technically called a "stress reaction", I just called it a pre-fracture because that's what the doctor explained it as in lay terminology.

here is a description of the difference between it and a fracture I found online

The difference between a 'reaction' and 'fracture' is a matter of degree. Both suggest a disruption of the bone metabolism. Fracture can be seen on most imaging studies (X-ray, MRI, CT scan), whereas a stress reaction only shows up as increased bone activity on a bone scan.

She does drink milk, and more than average. As a competitive XC runner though, she is a vegetarian. It took me a while to convince her to give barbell methods a try, that big weights won't make you a man etc (i.e one step at a time ). She's gotten pretty strong and would like to put her gains to work in XC, but the doctor thinks not.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    As a competitive XC runner though, she is a vegetarian.
    Could I bother you for an explanation of this very weird statement? She's required by the rules of the cross-country federation to eat nothing but plants?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Could I bother you for an explanation of this very weird statement? She's required by the rules of the cross-country federation to eat nothing but plants?
    I was stating it as something that bewilders me as well, the vegetarianism is in contrast to what I would expect (and know) to be propitious to optimal performance, hence the "though".

Sorry about that. I know I don't have to get you started on the oddities of distance running.

starting strength coach development program
    Got it: you're as puzzled as I am. Well, my friend, there are lots and lots of silly little girls, of all ages and sexes, that think the same way, and we won't ever understand them either.